Monday, April 26, 2010

Bizzaro Mall

Once upon a time there was a perfectly good hill. It was in Berlin, Mass., and it was a hill like about any other, with trees and forests. It wasn't developed. That was the thing. This makes developers nervous. Developers couldn't wait to get their hands on it. A fabulous mall was described to the selectmen of the town and turned down repeatedly by the voters. Repeatedly. Finally, the developers won. Guess how many tenants there are in this one mall? ONE.

But they had to have it.
Guess how ugly it is?
Vastly. It's constructed of rocks and stones and delusions of grandeur. IT HAS A FOUNTAIN! This at least gives you a good laugh when you drive by.




UGH.



FUNNY FUNNY.





Some might even say GROSS.
I guess I must not have been looking when guys were putting this together. They must have had a good laugh too. I'm glad they had jobs for the short time they did.
All this to have what?
One.
More.
Lowe's.
It's all the way up the hill.
A bientot
love,
becky

9 Comments:

At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know - but, I love it.

 
At 12:34 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

The more I look at them them the more I think those columns really are quite a train wreck, design-wise. First there's an ugly concrete slab, then an awkwardly precise "stone-wall" bit cut into a perfect rectangle, then some contrasting granite for no reason. On top of that disaster is a clunky bit of ducting that looks like it should be in the attic, painted to blend into the hill, and then there's an out-of-scale photo printout on it that looks like it should be in a newspaper circular. And topping it off is some flat top from, of course, a totally unrelated design theme. The line of them looks like there should be a monorail track on top or something.

Maybe all this junk was in someone else's pristine town and the voters there all saved up enough to finance the wholesale transplantation outta there!

 
At 7:45 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Good points, sm. I also meant to show the "decorative" boulders around the bottom of the columns. It looks like the god of shopping got pissed off and heaved a few in any direction.

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

anon, did I see you there?

 
At 10:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have seen me there. I know that it was nice to see you.

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Okay, let's try our best to sound like a weird stalker. No comment.

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Becky, I hate to say it but that looks a lot like places here in NZ - but we have more excuses to heave rocks around & to have nobody around ... we are a rocky kind of island in places and boast a pop. of 4 million.(I wonder if they came to NZ and got some pointers as to how to create something 'natural'-looking but that also manages to look highly pretentious.)

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I would have respect for New Zealand rocks, Kay, I swear I would. And it's not the rocks that makes this place so ugly. It's the haphazard way they've been dumped in place. A low=class Stone Henge. AND THE WHOLE MALL WAS NOT NEEDED, as I'm sure you can relate to. :)

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

I can top you in terms of ugly. I used to live in Berlin, Germany, when it was divided by The Wall. Now, THAT was ugly. OK, the shopping center in Mass is a close second...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home