Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflections on a Thirty Dollar Mug




How would you feel, dear reader, if you paid thirty dollars for a mug?

It's very nice.
As mugs go.
Handpainted in Italy, it depicts a delightful lemon on a vine or on a lemon tree. I was so startled to see lemons growing on trees, it became kind of a joke. So the mug is appropriate in that special oh-yes-my-trip-to-Italy-if-only-I-were-still-there kind of way.


Signed by the artist.
It's very lovely.
But you know, I'm having problems looking at it. A mug should not cost thirty dollars. It was 22 euro, so I'm not exactly sure how many dollars it was.


It was the last night before I was leaving the next day and I was in that wtf mood, buying madly in every direction. I thought it would bring back lovely memories of my trip.
And it does. Don't get me wrong.
I don't know, though. My mother would be rolling over in her grave to know I spent that much.
Okay, enough of that. Imagine my excitement, dear reader, to know that I am driving a condemned car. That's right, a 2010 Toyota Camry, recalled for....are you ready?
2010 Toyota Camry

a gas pedal that could--COULD--start accelerating out of control while I am--well, I guess I could be anywhere.
Parking lot at Hannaford's? LOOK OUT FOR THOSE CARTS! IT'S GOING TO BE UGLY!
Mass Pike? I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ALBANY! HELP!
College parking lot? DON'T MESS WITH ME, YOU SLACKERS! YOU'VE HANDED IN YOUR LAST LATE PAPER, SONNY!
And finally, this past Friday was Truck Day at Fenway Park.
The truck that will haul the Red Sox equipment to the team's spring training facilities in Fort Myers, Fla., was parked, wrapped, and ready to load outside of Fenway Park on Friday morning. The banner wrapped around the truck reads, 'Bringing a piece of the Green Monster to Florida.'

The day that they ship all the soaps and towels and packets of chaw down to spring training. Wow, that is one big rig. Imagine how many humans could squeeze in there. That could be one fun party too. Because you KNOW that everyone along the way honks and waves and yields right of way. It must be wicked fun to be the driver.
Mark Twain says, concerning man,
"Hope springs up, and cheerfulness along with it, and then he is in good shape to do something for himself, if anything can be done."
A rivedercci con amore,
Becky

8 Comments:

At 9:34 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

I have an Italy mug, which I bought at one of the tacky souvenir stands surrounding "the field of miracles" in Pisa. This mug is leaning sideways, on the diagonal. I paid 10.000 lire for it, which worked out to about $5. it's cheaply made and tacky but I just love it. Not so practical for drinking, but I use it to hold napkins on my kitchen table.

When I bought it, we were part of a tour group and an old lady on our tour scolded me that we wouldn't have any money left for the end of our trip if we kept spending like that. !!! I must have reminded her of her (grand)daughter. So that's what I think of when I look at it: Pisa, how much I love this sideways mug, and a nosy old woman!

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

What a great story, Kris! Realistically, since I drink out of this mug every day, I will probably break it. I usually do.

 
At 12:22 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

It's a nice mug, and I'm all for over-spending for sentimental reasons. If you hadn't bought it, you'd regret it, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, I've now diagnosed your keyboard issue (and if I may say, eww!)... If I knew where to send it I'd put a new keyboard in the mail to you right now, because it's way cheaper than a designer mug for a functional solution ($11). Or, spend a mugs-worth and try this washable option ($30).

It'd be a shame to lose that Camry after what you went through to get it. Toyota will fix the problem, no doubt, though you might want to leave a little extra room in front of you until then! (Seriously, here's Toyota's advice in case it happens to you while you're driving -- basically stand on the brake and shift to neutral, or turn off the engine if that doesn't work but leave the key in so steering stays unlocked.)

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Geez, I forgot what I said about the keyboard, sm. I'm freaking out--Alzheimer's!

I'm not worried about the Camry, it seems fine. I will have it in for the Very Expensive Second Servicing pretty soon and I expect they will haul out the gas pedal and do something to it. Thanks for your research--I'm prepared to turn the gd thing off if it ever happens. :)

 
At 12:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I checked, the Euro was worth about $1.37, so you do the math. I have Villeroy & Boch china from Germany -- a leftover from the days when I had extra money, and you probably would be discouraged at what I paid for some of those.

Sorry to hear you have a "condemned" car. After my 2005 car was repossessed (and what FUN that was!!), all I could afford was a 1994 Chevy Cavalier station wagon! It smelled liked really old lady (dusting powder and sweat), had low mileage, but no owner's manual. But it DOES have a cup holder - which took me forever to find - so that I can drive around town with my expensive V&B china mug. Greetings from snowy Haverhill, MA!

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Well thanks, Haverhill! I'm sure you will understand when I tell you that I have not allowed myself to have coffee in the new car yet. My cars always end up with stains and I don't want to start the process just yet! Bet your china is great.

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Money is relative - like time and anything else you care to mention ... like age.
'It's only money' is another saying I have been known to bandy about at appropriate fiscal moments! I think it's a lovely cup, it must make you feel happy when you drink from it - I would. & btw your Mum's none the wiser! ;)

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Good advice as always, Kay. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home