Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rome 2




So this is how the hairdo came out. Not so very different from home, but very straight and poofy, which I liked.
A woman who resembled Ivana Trump did my hair. She didn't speaka my language and I didna speaka hers.
"Prego," they say. It means please most of the time except when it means you're welcome or even, will you please move over here?
"Prego." I loved the way Ivana said it. I think she was terrified. She was forced to take me (by the boss) and her hands seemed to be trembling. I reassured her from time to time--"good! Bene! Bono! Sonny Bono!" You grab at anything when you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Note box of Cheez-its in the background. I find it a must-have for hotel living. I think Amy was a bit appalled, but she has way better taste than I do in general.


Here is Amy just before the wind blew the potato chips over. That sounds symbolic, doesn't it? Before the Potato Chips Blew. You sit outdoors in Rome, no matter what. It was in the 50s most days, so that was okay. On this occasion, though, we may have been kidding ourselves. I kept saying, "It's January 8th and I'm sitting outdoors."




Look at these yummy artichokes. I think I ate some. Not these of course, but others. I was totally confused by food and what I was eating. It was all good, though.







See the Dior logo?
In the doorway of these posh joints you frequently see a bouncer type of individual, meant to discourage the riff raff, I don't doubt. We stood across the street and watched. I offered Amy twenty USD to go up to their window and press her nose against it, but she turned it down.





This is Amy's friend Laird, who joined up with us for a couple of days. He is a fount of knowledge (wonder if he's ever been called a fount before) and great fun to be with.







Here's Laird demonstrating his fountness.









And cuteness.











Obligatory Trevi Fountain shot.






Adjacent to the Trevi was a little gellateria. We went in and I lost all control. I ordered two cannolli and a large dark chocolate gellatto. Just throw me in the fountain, I said.
It was heavenly.







More stuff.

[see previous post for definition of "stuff."]









Once again, I think I have gone on long enough. Next time?

Ostia Antica, the excavated ancient city south of Rome! With two modern babes as your guides!


Audrey Hepburn Wearing A Circle Skirt In Roman Holiday
Audrey and Greg on the Spanish Steps. We saw them everywhere.
A rivederci, dear reader.
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 4:34 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Love Love (Lurve even) your hair! Beautiful! Very, very dishy! 'n' so very classy.
That's it. I'm SO going to Rome to get a haircut and drink chocolate.
What a great time you had.
'Before The Potato Chips Blew' would be a great title!

 
At 7:20 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Kay, your hair looks great without Rome! But definitely go for the chocolate....I'm missing it still.

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

Yay! Another Rome post! Keep 'em coming, amica...

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You are too kind, my dear. A sister Rome-o-phile!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home