Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Return of the Jedi

I don't even know what a Jedi is. Is it plural? Is it one Jed, two Jedi? As in there are three Jedi at this party and I can't tell them apart? Half the students in my classes are Jedi.

But I myself have returned to the cool climes of New England. I must say it feels good after the sweltering jungle weather of Arkansas.

If you make the unlikely choice of shopping outside, you must duck into a store every few seconds or wilt right there on the sidewalk. It doesn't matter what is for sale. You must go in and feign interest.
toiletseat
Well sure I want to browse and peruse toilets, why wouldn't I? We're always being told how much time we spend sleeping--is it one third of our lives? How much of our time do we spend using a toilet? I'll bet it's a high percentage (and for some I've known a VERY high percentage). I'll bet this store owner can tell me about it. Until I cool off and step outside again.

Bath House Row in Hot Springs, Arkansas, is a sight worth seeing.


It evokes an earlier time, one of style and opulence (though now dulled). You can sense the babes from long ago wearing their white gloves as they stroll with their gangster boyfriends. Hot Springs used to be the getaway resort of preference for Al Capone and many of his buddies.

The Arlington Hotel presides over the whole setting.


And if it's a little frayed at the edges, no one is noticing. I must say we did notice a huge cockroach crawling around outside the front door, though, rather a deterrent perhaps. The fun part was watching an outdoor wedding across the street as we stood comfortably inside the front door of the Arlington. The bride looked pissed off, the guests were fanning themselves madly, and all concerned seemed pretty miserable.

It was a great trip and I got to see my niece get married. When she walked down the aisle on the arm of my brother, it was a weepy moment for me and very gratifying.

Worst airline? Possibly US Air. No thunderstorms, no weather of any kind for hundreds of miles in every direction, but you know what? We're going to delay this flight anyway. And then we're going to delay your connecting flight, so you can feel hopeful, so you can clutch on to the possibility of making it, and have that heartstopping OJ Simpson run through the airport that everyone so loves. And then miss the flight anyway. All travel in the US is miserable. You heard it here first, dear reader. Hmm, maybe not first.

Anyway, I'm glad to be home and am reading GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 9:02 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I'm frightened of both the heat and the giant bugs in the South.

By the way, as the mother of a Star Wars-mad little boy I'm something of an expert, and both the plural the singular are Jedi. One Jedi, many Jedi, and one can be a Jedi Knight, a Jedi Master, a lowly padowan, or even worse, a youngling.

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I haven't been jerked around by USAir lately, but someone at work recently told me her last flight with them was terrible though too. My last Delta experience was more like what you described (they decided I should spend the night in Atlanta). I fear you're right about air travel in the US though...

Plus I just saw a blurb in the paper about how a USAir flight (coincidentally) just missed a construction vehicle that crossed the runway when it shouldn't have at Logan, and another about how a Continental pilot of a big 777 died halfway across the ocean from Belgium but they went ahead and landed in Newark without any issues (and didn't tell the passengers). Where is that train station again? Oh never mind, that's no good either because the drivers are all on their cellphones!

 
At 6:11 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

The notion of the word Jedi as a collective noun is very funny.

I adore those buildings!

I hear 'Girl With a Dragon Tattoo' and all the sequels et al are fantastic reads ... and has the writer since died? I think that's what I have gleaned in snippets - must look it up on Google. As you do.

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Kris, thank you for the Jedi data. You are my new guru on that subject. And you would indeed NOT like the heat, insects and SNAKES in the south, though I did not see the latter on this trip.

sm, you chronicle domestic travel quite well--what in heck are we supposed to do? I think you travel more than I do.

Kay, yes I read the author died but he delivered this ms. and the two sequels before doing so. It's a great read so far.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home