Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Makes You Curious?

We're all curious about something, aren't we? I wonder what's in that package. I wonder why that person is so unfriendly. For some of us, it's the lure of astronomy, the enticement of a subject or a language we don't know . For others, it's Real Housewives of New Jersey or American Idol. What will hapen? Who will say what? If you could be allowed a list of ten things that you would be given knowledge of right now, what would they be?

1) censored

2) What is the fuss about Twilight?

3) How do those polygamous marriages, a la Big Love on HBO, really work?

4) Is the orchard down the street from me making any money?

5) censored

I guess I might as well curtail this at 5, since most of the things I am really curious about can't be mentioned.

These are the kinds of things I think about on my walk, dear reader, my walk which is heartrendingly beautiful right now with all that bright kelly green I love. It's only this way for ten days or so, then the deeper green sets in. The horses up the street seem more curious too. They look at me and don't seem to blink as much. Perhaps I will choose one of them and write his biography.

New Englanders put great care into their gardens and landscapes. Not me, of course, pass the chips. But I do enjoy and appreciate my neighbors' efforts.

What would it be like to go bowling after 25 years? How would I do? Here are friends of mine who were also curious. The girl on the left kicked our collective ass. I'm proud to say I scored a 98, or maybe it was 95. You don't have to keep score either--the computer does it. Geeolllley! When we finished, there was no one left in the bowling alley. That's what you call clearing the joint out.

Sometimes you meet people who have big, you know.

Living the Dream, dear reader, trying to stay on schedule and get lots of housework, writing work, outdoor work done before the Languishing Fugue takes over, as it always does.

A bientot

love,becky

6 Comments:

At 12:26 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Lovely walk. I love horses and I loved your descriptions of them.
Being an incurious creature is probably a fault of mine (a little bit like a sloth as opposed to a puppy) ... altho' I am curious enough about other peoples' lives enough to read their blogs!

 
At 8:55 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

One thing I never notice is what color people's eyes are, Kay. I just can't ever remember to do it. So I'm not curious about that. Plenty of things that are none of my business, though.
b

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I always liked looking the wrong way down telescopes and binoculars. Everything was so far away and so sharply defined.

Would the list of things have to be knowable? I've wondered things like how another person perceives something, what it's like to be them, but how could you know that?

 
At 8:57 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

No set requirements on the list, sm. Still, for me some of them would be censored. What's it like to be a man, for instance? Ahem.

b

 
At 1:24 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Oh, the lawn is all brown and dusty over here -- how's your side of the fence?

I know what you mean about some being censored -- it's illogical that some of the deepest feelings can't be said easily. Wouldn't it make sense to be matter of fact about what you want or want to know? But it doesn't work that way for me either. Maybe it's because I'm too invested in the questions, so I can't ask without being prepared for the answer. What if all you wanted to do your whole life was be a pilot, and one day you got to do it and you were terrible at it and hated it? It might not be so easy to know that. Safer still if you never told anyone you wanted to be a pilot, lest they call you on it.

"Better not to know" said Jennifer from the show Two Fat Ladies (highly recommended) as they waddled past a weigh-yourself scale at the seaside in one episode

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I know what you mean, sm. And agree with Jennifer. Dying to see that show and it almost makes me get a TV.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home