Saturday, May 02, 2009

Drugged Out of My Mind

Isn't that daring?


And true, dear reader.


Just one of the many benefits of dental implant surgery, especially when you have complications and throbbing pain. Yes, the implants I now have could pay for a new Honda Accord. Does that make me feel a little sick?

Um, yeah. Kinda. Not really, though. I'm too giggly and cuckoo. Life seems funny. I feel mellow in the extreme, my arms open to the world.


Then again I'm drugged on my ass. Like this woman in Edgar Degas's L'Absinthe. You know, I wouldn't mind a little absinthe to go with my codeine-a-licious Tylenol (doc said I could pop two at a time!) . This girl is NOT having a good time, though. I think she ought to dump that guy, who is an odd cross between scurrilous degenerate and Emmett Kelley clown. That could freak you out fast in my condition.


The Absinth Drinker Pablo Picasso painting

I don't want to look like this guy, Picasso's The Absinthe Drinker. He's got that androgynous wicked witch thing going on. The hands are freaking me out too.




This guy is under the influence himself. He is about to have the fantasy of his life with that green girl. I'll be the green girl, okay? He looks a little erudite, but I like erudite. His eyes look a little crossed too, and why not? I'll give him something to cross his eyes for.


That waiter is on his way over to spoil everything. (Absinthe Drinker by Viktor Oliva Czech)

Absinthe Drinker Art Print by Pablo PicassoAnother Absinthe Drinker, this one perhaps a carnival contortionist by day. Look at those arms. She's thinking of things she should have said. Things she could still say. Measuring them against silence. She wraps her arms a little further around herself, playing it all out in her mind.

My comrades. my friends, my drinkers in arms, I wish you all a wonderful good night.Can you unscrew this before you go? love,


whatis my name? oh yeah becky

4 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

Boy, those painters and their absinthe. Love the story you told about that last painting, the contortionist.

Good luck with the tooth and if you have to, storm the pharmacy for vicodin.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kris. Vicodin solidarity!

b

 
At 4:50 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I do sincerely admire how your sense of humour survives the pain!
Hope the drugs keep working for you.

 
At 7:56 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. My real fear is if they have to take the thing out again. Ugh.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home