Friday, March 06, 2009

Sternum Crushers and Other Good Reads

A sternum crusher is what you call a big book, a huge book, a tome. One that has to be rested carefully on one's chest, but whose pages turn easily.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (Oprah Book Club #62)One of these is Edgar Sawtelle. I didn't know it was about dogs. They are noble creatures, of course (hey, I cried over Lassie and Old Yeller, don't call me hardhearted), though I still don't want one in real life. I also didn't know this was an Oprah pick, although how did I miss that since it's on the cover.....Anyway, I am about halfway through and it's very good. It's supposed to be a modern version of Hamlet. Ugh. I don't want to see any bloodbath in the kennel, know what I'm saying? Also interesting to me is how many poor reviews it has on Amazon. I think people like to be negative. People are jealous. I think this will be five stars, but I haven't finished it yet.

Cover Image If someone came along and said hey, ya wanna read a really long book about a big fat convenience store owner, what would your answer be, dear reader? In this case, it should be yes. I didn't want this one to end. Russo reminds me of John Irving in his storytelling ability. Even inside the main plots there are little stories. Sometimes the subplots have subplots and THEY are mesmerizing. Five stars.

Cover ImageThis book won't crush your ribs when you read it in bed, but you'll have to put it down now and then so you can howl out the window. It's darn funny. Farcical with a lot of heart underneath. Keillor has his finger on the pulse of mainland America, the midwest, Lutherans, and pretty much everything else if you ask me. Four stars.

Cover Image I read this book because of the title and the cover. A German corporal in wartime Paris disguises himself. It didn't disappoint. Four stars.

Cover ImageAnother WWII story, this one from a child's point of view. He hates tulips now because they had to boil them and eat them near the end of the war. Ugh. The love of the boy for the father is what I will remember about this book. Four stars.

Cover Image I am getting into these Alan Furst WWII espionage novels. They are simple. They are relatively short. And in every one there is a sophisticated adult love affair. Very sexy without being graphic or explicit. They take my breath away. Five stars.

That's enough for today. I'm sure I have left some out, but that's the fun part of sternum crushing. You can always go back for more.

love,

becky

http://www.statcounter.com/

6 Comments:

At 10:51 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Thanks Becky. I feel like getting my sternum busted. A kennel bloodbath might just be the ticket!

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You'll enjoy it, I bet.
b

 
At 10:04 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I'll give Furst a try -- I read a spy book on my Christmas travels and enjoyed it. It'll have to do while we wait for the next Motew novel to come out! (Any news on that front?)

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, sm. No, thing yet. Dang.

b

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger KGMom said...

I chuckled at your description--sternum crushers.
I am midway through reading Edgar Sawtelle right now, and I am working on a blog to "publish" as soon as I finish the book.
I definitely is a reworking of Hamlet--in many many ways.
My term for really good books is Terrific Read. I don't think this one will earn a Terrific Read from me, but to each her own, right?
I'll be back.

 
At 8:32 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Hey KGM, I finished Sawtell the other night. Um, it was Shakespearean, especially at the end. Every time I see a shepherd or a lab, I want to raise my arms in the air and see if I can get them to stay. The dog stuff is fascinating, didn't you think? b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home