Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Why Fall Doesn't Suck

Fall foliage is beautiful. That's pretty much it.
People go googoo over the leaves and the so-called nip in the air. All right, let's be honest. I could do without the nip, okay? I would be just as happy if it would stay around 60 for the winter. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

I would be just as happy if the stock market went up. And like THAT's going to happen. And actually? That foliage, the really beautiful part, lasts about four days, and then we're stuck with six months of soul-crushing cold and sleet.

Oh wait a minute. I'm off track. sorry, dear reader. So the foliage is lovely. Score one.





I'm confusing myself.





Here in central Massachusetts the apple orchards are booming, sort of. When it doesn't rain for three days in a row, more people than you think like to traipse out and pick their own. I've never done it and never will. And if any more of them pop out into the middle of the road while I am trying to drive by, I'm going to kill one. Not to be grouchy. I love Empire apples. They last about two weeks and then we're stuck with six months of soul-killing cold and sleet. Did I already say that? Well, it bears saying again. But score two for the apples.

chelmsford-lowell2.jpg

High school football is a lot of fun. Especially if you like freezing your kiester off and not being able to move your limbs when it is over. I don't have to do this any more, so I'll just have to envy you from afar. Score three, I guess.


We have a presidential election to enjoy. HAHAHAHAHAHAj. This is REALLY when I appreciate not having TV. Soon it seems that all the TVs are going to change over to digital, whatever that means. I guess it means that my TV, the brave old set on top of my clothes hamper in the bedroom, won't work. I haven't told it yet. It doesn't know. It proudly thinks I'll be watching the Super Bowl on it like always. Score zero for that.
One other good thing--Halloween candy. Okay, make it two--Halloween candy and bloopers.


"the so-called Shroud of Turin, supposedly pulled off the body of Jesus of Nazareth by Pontius Pilot, was tested in lavatories across Europe." [Even after his less than hygienic scientific methods, Pontius was still able to get a job with Delta Airlines.]

"Scientists around the world have been pouring over this issue."

"Updike does what a lot of short writers do, describe in great detail."

"I stared into the fire's gaze, slowly dying out."

A bientot

love,becky

2 Comments:

At 12:27 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I'm usually too much in denial about the pace of the calendar to appreciate those four days of foliage when they do come. Sometimes I have to interrupt myself, cursing at some innocent tree for turning early, to point out to myself that it is October already. I don't want to think about it, I retort.

On the digital TV thing, by the way, if you have any sort of cable service you're fine, and if you don't you can get a fairly cheap box to go on top that'll convert digital back to good old analog, and there's a government rebate to subsidize the cost of those boxes. Or you could use this as an excuse to buy yourself a nice flat panel TV (which I hypocritically say, clinging to my old tube) or use it as an excuse to stop watching TV (I say chucking since I wouldn't know how to pass time in that event), depending on your tendencies.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, sm. I guess I will buy a decent TV, but I still don't want cable. Sigh. It's always something, eh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home