Thursday, October 16, 2008

Learning French in two months


Qu'est-ce que vous faites? Probably not the right spelling, but I can say it, dude. It means WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING? Or just "what are you doing," delivered with a hard and stony stare.
No no, no hard and stony stares for moi. Lightness and sunshine will prevail.

La plume de ma tante has gotten stuck in your neck, monsieur. Ah! Desolee!
Votre mere est une tortoise.

Enchantee, monsieur, j'accepte your invitation pour le Grande Mac avec frites.


Qu'est-ce qui se passe ? What is happening? What UP?
J'ai chaud / J'ai froid. I have hot. I have cold.
J'ai faim / J'ai soif. I have hunger. I have thirst.
Je suis l'incredible whineeng beetch.


Je t'aime, mon cheri, mais non! La plume de ma tante is embedded in your eye! That's oueil to you! I mean vous! Changez your oueil, monsieur toute de suite. Yecq!
Degas, Portrait of Miss Cassatt, Seated, Holding Cards, c. 1876-1878, oil on canvas
Above is an Edgar Degas painting of Mary Cassatt (my main homegirl fave), aptly titled Portrait of Miss Cassatt, Seated, Holding Cards, c. 1876-1878, oil on canvas. She shows a little weariness here, doesn't she, with the way she sits rather slouched with her elbows on her knees. Maybe Edgar was getting on her last nerve. Wiki says "She had strong feelings for him but learned not to expect too much from his fickle and temperamental nature. The sophisticated and well-dressed Degas, then forty-five, was a welcome dinner guest at the Cassatt residence." I am fascinated by the two of them.

I hope he was good to her.
He looks a little, well, hmm, how do we say, ze stuckus uppus? A poker uppus where the sun don't shine-us? He needs a little plume de ma tante if you ask me.
A bit of Red Sox next time, dear reader, and I hope it is not a post mortem.
A bientot
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 12:46 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ah oui, les Chaussettes Rouge sont toujours en vie, bébé! Or, babelfish says, "ils sont encore vivants, bébé" -- either way I'll take it!

There aren't any baseball phrases in my phrasebook (quoi?!), but here's one under "playing sports" that you might be able to use: "Je suis blessé." (I have an injury.)

:-)

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I'm laughing, sm. Thanks, bebe
b

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ha ha, wee wee ... all good ... tout bon ... Degas looks plus tres up stuck vraiment

I see the Red Sox won?!! So, expecting some hoop-lah from you very sooon!!! :)

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. Coming up!!

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home