Saturday, August 09, 2008

Floating My Boat

That phrase is always used, whatever floats your boat. Well, these three recent evenings helped to float mine. Call me a gamut-runner.

First I saw Iolanthe, a Gilbert and Sullivan offering at the


College Light Opera in Falmouth, MA. I must be honest. It was not very good. The actors just kind of stood around in straight lines and though I know the lyrics are difficult to deliver, these were not as audible as one might like. [I couldn't hear it]. In their defense, G&S is a true challenge. Last year I saw Patience and LMAO, so that's why I gave this one a try. The kids were cute, though, and there were some amusing moments [damns with faint praise].

Next up was a rental.



The Dewey Cox Story with John C. Reilly. It is plain out hilarious, although it probably shows my juvenile taste more than anything else. Keep in mind I love Will Ferrell and not everyone does. There's a scene in the beginning of this movie where Dewey gets his start at a black night club, where the owner tells him, "my customers come here to dance erotically" and boy, do they. Five stars and a big LMAO.

I like following this with Waiting for Godot, which I saw in the Unicorn Theatre at the Berkshire Theatre Festival last weekend.




Keeping in mind that it's a stupid and pointless play, it was brilliantly done. I only use those words because if you start reading about it, there is such a defiance on the part of critics and dramaturges and the playwright not to read too much into it. My question may be the same as yours, dear reader. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Okay then, it's even more pointless than I thought. But trust me, you could feel the heavy-ocity all around. IS THAT GUY SUPPOSED TO BE GOD?
NO. SHUT UP.

Through the miracle of blogger technology, I am at this moment in Champaign, Illinois, reuniting with some old friends. BUT I'M WATCHING YOU AND I CAN SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Happy to see Bret Favre in NYC. There are plenty of shrinks there for him.
A bientot
love,
becky p.s. Will Ferrell is not in the Dewey Cox Story. I just used him as a touchstone. As it were.
http://www.statcounter.com/

3 Comments:

At 9:12 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I was hoping Dewey Cox would be funnier... I like Will Farrell, too. In fact, I'm looking forward to Stepbrothers with both John C. Reilly AND WF.

Three Will Ferrell favorites: Talledega Nights, Anchorman, and Stranger Than Fiction. That last one is quirky and more sensitive and dramatic than you'd expect.

 
At 8:34 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I love the PA announcement in Talledega Nights where WF says "a wild dog is not your friend...or he could be."
Darn, Kris, I thought DC was funny.
b

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Waiting for Godot ... tell me about it. I remember having to study it at Teachers College. Waiting's right - waiting for the godamned point!
Glad you're getting culcha'd up. :)
And really - can you really see me tucking into a ham and mustard wholemeal sandwich at one o'clock in the morning?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home