Sunday, August 31, 2008

Facing Reality


And so it's time to put down the bonbons and the wineglass, the crosswords and anacrostics and the mindless irresponsibility. It's time to pick up the mantle of honest work, of hope for the future, of--
WHAT THE HECK DO WE WANT TO DO THAT FOR?

Well, I don't know exactly, but September is just around the corner and you can't lie around in that spandex thing forever. I mean, well. ..

YEAH? WHAT? WHAT DO I KNOW? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

Now don't get upset. You've had a fantastic summer.

WHO SAID I'M UPSET?

You went to Arkansas, remember?



YEAH, YEAH. I REMEMBER. THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO.

Then you went to London. Wasn't that great?

OH, DEFINITELY.

Then you also went to New York, Pennsylvania, Cambridge, the Berkshires, Old Saybrook, Newport, Chicago and Champaign. Right?



WHAT IS YOUR POINT?


The point is you have to start back to work this week. You have to get with it. Get the oil changed. Have a purpose. When was your last haircut?

MY HAIR LOOKS GOOD LONG.

Your hair looks terrible. Come on now. Don't be that way.

I STILL HAVE THIS WEEKEND, THOUGH, DON'T I?

Well, yes, but
-

GOOD. GET LOST.
a bientot, dear reader. I'm hanging on to the last fingernail.


love,
becky
thanks to naute.com

5 Comments:

At 4:23 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You have knack for accessing some wonderful visual aids - your students must benefit from such a gift.
It's like getting into a cold bath going back to work after a V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N. as Connie Francis would say / said / sung.
The Mona Lisa is a hoot!!!

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, Kay, and I never was one for cold baths. Brrrrrrrr.

b

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

And you say I travel a lot! You've made a lot of your summer, I'd say.

(Love the ML with the tongue out.)

Hope your dad isn't getting flooded...

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, sm. My dad is okay. And I really have traveled this summer. You'd think I'd be more grateful.

b

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Oh, I suppose -- but grateful isn't as funny!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home