Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Shacked Up

I must here and now profess my allegiance to Radio Shack. They are surprisingly good in every way. First of all, you can always get someone to wait on you there and usually it's a young man of great knowledge, who wants nothing more than to share his expertise. If you ask him in a nice way, you will learn essential tricks for all your electronic doodads. Tricks like how to turn them on. This for me is key. Eliot Spitzer's wife should have gone to RS for spying devices and saved herself all the media embarrassment.


Radio Shack is not for the computergeeksnobs. Dare I say it is a store for women. I never feel a bit uncomfortable telling the young man there that I don't know what I'm doing. He smiles and loves me. We both glow.


Also their products are good. I have had a land-line cordless phone of theirs for several years and it is great, especially given the squirrel-chewed phone lines coming into my house. I bought a new phone at RS recently and I was shocked that it didn't work. I took it back there yesterday and they gave me a new one and it works fine. I didn't even have the receipt. The phone was twenty bucks. This is also key.


Okay, so just a few lingering bloopers:

Students writing about their own work spoke of "understanding what it is we are reading so we can have good reading compression skills."

"I'm not used to sighting a source."

"....especially when you take the research factory into consideration."

"I really enjoy roll-playing."
"Van Gogh pointed in insanity."


Questions asked and answered on final exam:
What is an ad hominem attack? "Using too many hominems."

What is a common error in a thesis statement? "Not using it correctly."

What is a nonsequitur? "A horse."


Use of vocabulary words:

"The flowery voyeur looked nice on with that dress."

I guess I'll end with that, dear reader and say A bientot from here in the Research Factory.
love,
becky

7 Comments:

At 9:09 AM , Blogger david santos said...

Hello, Becky!
I loved this post.
Have a nice day.

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Well thanks, David. You don't work for Radio Shack, do you? Just kidding.

b

 
At 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always had good luck with Radio Shack.I agree with everything you say. They are always helpful.

Your students write some of the funniest stuff. But I guess that's how you learn. You don't always get it right the first time.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You're so right, Joan. Nobody gets it right the first time. Sometimes not the second or third either.

I am no better, that's for sure.

b

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

To me, two are too funny! Therefore, a horse. Et tu?

(Logic was one of my favorite classes!)

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Good one, sm!!

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I like that image of both you and the radio shack guy glowing!
The bloopers are awesome - are you sure your students aren't making them up just to please you?
(My fav is the horse - non sequitur does sound a little like a horse snorting!!!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home