Thursday, April 10, 2008

So Back to Eye Makeup

Pablo Picasso, Bloch 1063
Eye makeup is a rite of passage for a girl. I don't know many females who wear none.

There is of course the "natural look" and if you are a raving complete beauty, then this is for you. If you wanted to divide the female world into Dorothy/Wizard of Oz types and Jezebels, that would be fair. I'm a J for sure. I paint my face and would not go into Hannaford's without doing so [as always, Hannaford's is the Ultimate Test for me]. In the 1960s, women went all out with eye makeup, the darker and more pronounced the better.







Nowadays, most people tone it down a little, though most women I know keep the same eye strategy for decades. You might try a new technique, but most of the time you come back to the tried and true. My friend Gayle wears total shocking blue eyeshadow/Sixties-looking eye makeup. If I described it to you, you'd be appalled. But you know what? She looks pretty darn glamorous in it. As I said before, I watched my friend Ketta put on eye makeup in high school and have copied her ever since. I don't even know where she is now.

Blue eyeshadow is an individual decision. Nay nay, I say, for myself. Same with green or purple or anything except muddy dark brown. In fact, there are many many colors to choose from.

But if you are like me, you will own a huge container like this and only use one of them. This is inefficient. Only buy the color you like. I use brown because that's what Ketta used.


Eyeliner goes on after the shadow. There's eyeliner above the eye and eyeliner below the eye. Below the eye is where you can make your really big raccoon statement. Eyeliner can be applied with pencil, which can hurt depending on how hard you have to press, or paint, which takes artistry if I may say. I'm a painter and many's the time I've had some regrettable mirror accidents. I always try to paint a very thin line but then I make a little blip and have to increase the width of the line and pretty soon it's a great big thick sucker. And by the way, there's no crying in baseball and there's certainly no crying in eye makeup. You cry, you do it all over again, know what I'm saying?

God, this is exhausting.

Mascara is next and I don't use it. The only wand I want to see is in Good Witch Glinda's hands turning me into Ava Gardner. THANK YOU, MISS G!!!!




Uh, whatever.
My friend is NOT wearing eye makeup.

A bientot

love,

becky

8 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I'm a devotee of mascara, but the first time I ever wore eyeliner was for my first community theatre show. I was told I HAD to wear it, or my eyes would vanish into my face on stage. I didn't have a clue how to do it. As a contact lens wearer, I was always scared to do it. Various people offered to help me, but when it came time for them to come at me with a pointy pencil they all declined.

I made do. I'm sure from 50 rows back it looked splendid.

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

There was a woman on "What Not To Wear" once who had eyeliner, literally, tattooed on her face. It looked like real eyeliner, but it sort of limited her ability to change her look in that department! Surely that must hurt worse than pencil mishaps, too.

Your entry reminded me of an essay I read in college that was followed by a memorable moment in class the next day, when the professor asked "okay, how many of you got it?". Most people raised their hands, but not me, because I'd naïvely missed it completely. I think this is the one: Body Rituals Among the Nacirema.

 
At 7:20 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

HA, sm.

Didn't I see Al Gore doing the Nacirema at some event? The whole thing is a goof, right? Very erudite....and true.

Kristina,
I simplay cannot stand mascara. As a longtime contact lens wearer, nothing was worse for getting weird crap in the eyes. I hear ya.

b

 
At 11:59 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Yeah, it's a goof. (Spell "Nacirema" backwards...) Well, to be erudite we should call it satire I guess.

Say, speaking of comedy, someone sent me a link to this hilarious YouTube video -- it's a Lego animation with Eddie Izzard concert audio underneath, in this case doing a bit about Darth Vader in a cafeteria somewhere in the Death star. It works I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
There are a whole bunch more on there too (search for "izzard lego").
Coincidentally, I just saw today that he's doing three shows in Boston a couple weeks from now.

 
At 1:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the guy? Seems pretty cool!

Edith

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

THanks, sm. I adore Eddy Izzard. He's an English comic, Edith. I love when he says, "Do you have a flag?" during his "explorer" routine.

b

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I think you know what Edith means Becky ... ;)

Thanks for this 'exhaustive' foray into the world of eye make-up.
Fascinating. I wonder if Ketta is still wearing brown eyeshadow?

You look very pretty.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Aw thanks, CB.

Ketta contrasted the brown on the eyelid with white shadow below the brow. It looked great and I did it for a while and now am just too lazy.
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home