Thursday, April 17, 2008

Can You Identify This Animal?

It's a sloth. Yikes. I thought they were supposed to be lazy. And yet here's one trying to cross the road. Which of course brings up the more deeply philosophical question: why? Unlike the chicken, which is stupid and just wants to get to the other side, I'd like to think the sloth has other reasons. Sometimes it's worth putting the effort in for a new place to be lazy. You know? Lounging around the same old tree gets boring as all fk. You can be lazy but still have high standards.


Photo: Two-toed sloth hangs from a branch

This sloth looks far from lazy. If you can hang upside down like that for protracted time lengths, that shows skill in my view. Skill is developed somewhere, dear reader, and I suggest that this sloth, unbeknownst to his buddies, might be a bigtime gym rat. Check out those upper thighs. Or maybe he goes to one of those snotty gymnastic prep places. Maybe he works out on rings. I'm just saying. Wikipedia says sloths spend so much time hanging this way that their fur grows away from their extremities. Also the grass and algae turn their fur green from languishing in the same spot for so long. I can relate, though. Here is another sloth:

[Picture+387.jpg]

Wasting time at the soccer field instead of tackling real jobs at home, such as:

The leaves in my yard have achieved critical mass [title for the nun book?].
They are un-rakeable.
It is an impossible task.
To ask me or expect me to do it would be quite like the task this guy had, as rendered by our friend Titian.
sisyphus.jpg
Yes, it's Sisyphus, cursed to roll a huge boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll down again, and to repeat this throughout eternity.
God.
I know my choice, dear reader.
Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth(Bradypus variegatus)Lake Gatun, Republic of Panama.
A bientot
Moderate blooper: "Bonn Appetite!" (German version of old standard)
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 7:04 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You'll be relieved to know that I find no similarities whatsoever between you and a sloth!
Fascinating facts tho' and the photo of one crossing the road is hilarious. Poster material - with the caption:You'll Never Get Anywhere In Life If You Don't Start Out ... but I'm sure you'll come up with snappier lines that that rather clunky attempt. ;)
'Critical Mass' as your book's tile bears some thought ... How's it going by the way?

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I'm in that long sloggy part of the middle, CB, thanks for asking. I try to do at least 500 words per day, or the days that I work anyway.

b

 
At 12:41 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

That last sloth shot does have that Raccoon-esque eye treatment you say you favor, though it's more "sleepy" to the Raccoon's "bandit" look, I'd say. You have to move slowly if you're going to put on eye makeup with nails like that sloth!

 
At 6:42 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

And think of the poor manicurist, sm!!!
I like to keep a few slothy looks ready.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home