Sunday, February 17, 2008

This and That

Great joke going around on the Internet and I have to share it.


Image: Hillary Rodham Clinton and daughter Chelsea


Chelsea Clinton is spending a weekend or a few days with her parents and while there, goes out on a date with someone. Upon returning home, she encounters Hillary who has a few motherly questions, including "You didn't have sex with that boy, did you?"

"Not according to Dad," Chelsea says.

I laughed out loud at that one. It's a miracle I even saw it because I almost never open joke emails. The people who send them to me know this and they still send them. These are lemming people who can't help themselves, I guess.

The Boston Globe ran a feature recently on the number of celebrity deaths already in 2008.


Suzanne Pleshette was underrated as an actress, I always thought. She was so beautiful and to my eye evoked Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor both. She was great with Bob Newhart too, and you could tell he appreciated her.

Margaret Truman is on the list. I admit I thought she was already dead.

The maharishi guy who counseled the Beatles back in the day also has died. I don't what he advised them, but they went whole hog into the drug scene afterwards, so figure it out.

And speaking of drugs, everyone has gone a little crazy over Heath Ledger's death. What a waste. He didn't look like someone who had a lot of demons inside either. If you're handsome and talented and rich, I guess you can still have plenty of problems. Also dead from drugs is Brad Renfro, who played opposite Susan Sarandon in The Client. Remember him? The young kid? He was good.

Bobby Fischer, the greatest of the American chess players, died. My kids used to belong to the chess club at school so I have great respect for BF. Why are Americans generally not known for this skill? Are we too impatient? That's a question for another day.

And finally, Sir Edmund Hillary.

Photograph:Sir Edmund Hillary, 1956.


When referring to his ascent of Mount Everest, he famously said he "knocked the bastard off." Gosh, I didn't know he was so good-looking, though you would never catch me trying to climb any mountains. That's why I go to the high school track, because it's freaking FLAT.

There were others on the Globe list, but these are notable to me.

Mid-February, dear reader. Snow cover, cold temps, student essays.

"My nephew weighed ten ponds at birth." I'll bet he was carrying a lot of water weight.

A bientot
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 2:28 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Heh -- good one! I'm going to tell it at dinner tonight.

I know what you mean about forwarded e-mails. I don't like them either, and then every now and then I get something worthwhile and feel conflicted about my position on the whole thing.

PBS just had a documentary about Bob Newhart last month and they talked a lot about Suzanne Pleshette. Bob gave her a lot of credit for the first show's success and said pulling off the later Newhart show would be toughest when it came to her equivalent in the new show. She of course came back for that famously clever finale episode of Newhart that was a flashback to the Bob Newhart Show. I wasn't old enough to know the earlier show, but remember watching the later one with my parents and seeing their reaction to the surprise ending.

 
At 2:48 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I am old enough know the earlier show (I watched TV as a toddler---uh,NOT), but didn't watch it all the time. He was a psychiatrist in it, I think. My father was in an elevator with him once and my dad didn't know who he was and apologized. Dad thought he was a business acquaintance he'd forgotten. har....

b

 
At 3:09 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Bob Newhart has that great understated comedic thing going ... classic. Suzanne was beautiful wasn't she? And you're right - Taylor and Hepburn morphed.
I laughed (and yes, out loud ... it came out as a HA HA!) at your Grrr Humbug Valentine's Day Guidelines! ABM and I don't acknowledge Valentine's Day as it wasn't part of either of our growing up memories - it's a recent add-on in NZ. The younger ones go in for it a little more.
Those bloopers are very good - do your students make them to keep you amused on purpose? (No? Didn't think so really.)

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, CB. I don't fall in for Val Day but I guess I do for Mother's Day since I spent my whole life picking out Mother's Day gifts for my own mother. Now it somehow doesn't feel right if I am not acknowledged. But don't worry, I have "educated" my kids on this. They are great. They must have Mother's Day in NZ?

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home