Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Prom Night

How much like the prom is Ocar Night? Pretty much completely, isn't it?

It's one night where it's all about the dress. Many great blogs and commentary exist about the Academy Awards 2008 but here's mine. Remember, I don't get out much.
Wearing a custom John Galliano gown, 'Project Runway' host Heidi Klum cut an elegant figure with Grace Kelly hair and jewels.

See, I don't think you should do this. It's too much like Queen Isabella launching an explorer's ship. Go with God, Chris, and I hope that rat-infested heap can make it to Aruba. Not only that, but wearing this thing, never mind walking anywhere, and especially never mind having to visit the loo--has to be such a pain. Perhaps the Easter-themed Mars Bar in her hand will serve as a weapon.



PLANT MY FLAG IN FARAWAY LANDS, DUDE.





I'M JULIE CHRISTIE AND I CAN'T AFFORD AN IRON.

The Escada may be new, but its dated fit looked as if Katherine Heigl's stylist had rescued it from a box of Herve Leger castoffs.

SEE MY SHOULDER?
TARGET IS SO GIVING ME AN ENDORSEMENT DEAL.

I'M CAMERON DIAZ AND I CAN'T AFFORD A HAIRDRESSER.


Folies Bergere or Grecian Urn? You decide.
Helen Mirren's custom-made gown had odd glittering granny sleeves that looked as if they were sewn on by mistake.

I feel very strange looking at Inspector Jane Tennison like this. Doesn't she know she looks girly? And can we just say that anything with a train is bad?
Nothing says 'I'm a rebel' like wearing a Miami Beach housewife’s leopard-print nightgown to the Oscars. So 'Juno' screenwriter Diablo Cody must have thought.
FUCK YOU.
Thanks to Google and the Boston Globe. If all of these make it through, it will be a miracle for this little blogger.
A bientot
love,
b
http://www.statcounter.com/

4 Comments:

At 8:12 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

All those red dresses would look better on a darker carpet I think.

I'll grant you that Diablo Cody's dress and tattoo are pretty anti-establishment, but I'm not sure her smile and demeanor rates the f-you... I thought she was surprisingly reverent in her speech. And her on-site-pressroom clips right after were much more lucid and "normal" than, say, either the speech or press clips of the Coen brothers, who, as much as I respect their work, looked to me like they detested the whole scene.

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I'm sure you're right, sm, and I didn't see Cody at all. I just think anybody wearing a tattoo openly and brazenly to the Oscars is making a sort of in-your-face statement of SOME kind. Maybe I went overboard....

b

 
At 11:03 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You made it through .... ! Under the radar!

I love your comments. Love them.

Over here that there wasn't the usual fuss - we didn't even have it running live through the night, which has usually been what happens. We saw zilch - except for a national news summary of the dresses - the very ones you chose actually, except your comments were far more clever and funnier. Maybe we are a little 'over Hollywood' - at least, I hope we are.

I want to go see the latest Coen Bros movie tho' - they rock.

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

So I didn't know this until it was mentioned during the Oscar broadcast (by the host I think, oddly), but part of Diablo Cody's backstory is that she once was an "exotic dancer" but she managed to write a great script (of "Juno") and gave that up. So given that context, her image is less surprising...

Funny that the international headline is the dresses. Maybe the lack of a Lord of the Rings movie this year is a factor on the coverage in NZ?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home