Sunday, January 13, 2008

Becky Rates Three Movies

It's true, dear reader. In less than a week, fewer than five days, I have seen three flicks. Two were at plexies and one on a great big thousand-inch pan-around-sound entertainment monstrosity. Okay, okay, I don't think it was really a thousand inches.

This all started on Wednesday when I went to the movies and saw ATONEMENT. It happens to fall into the very narrow niche of celluloid entertainment that I will agree to watch. I will not view anything called Diehard or Terminator or Alien or Batman. I don't like cartoons or anything animated. I don't like children's movies. I am the only American who has never seen ET and never will. I don't like horror movies or slashers or anything violent.

I do like beautiful English manor houses with gorgeous wallpaper. And ATONEMENT has all of that.



It also has Keira Knightley in a to-die for green silk dress, which she wears while getting pinned to the library wall in a VERY GOOD WAY. I read that the director had problems with the budget on this film, even though he obviously saved a bundle on Keira's meal vouchers. Yikes, girl. Try the tuna melt.

So I'm watching and enjoying the, um, pinning scene and the guy, the young man, oh geez do I have to look up his name--says "I love you." A rather elderly lady in the row in front of me said in a loud voice, "Well, I should hope so." It was one of those Great Audience Moments.

Uh well, the movie? It was pretty good. Not bad. I am not a Vanessa Redgrave fan. She ADORES looking old. She is INTO it. LOOK AT THE LINES ON MY FACE!!! HERE THEY ARE!!! AND I HAVE MOUSTACHE HAIRS!!! LOOK AT THOSE CLOSELY WHILE I ACT AND HAVE INTEGRITY AND HONESTY!!! I don't know. It doesn't work for me.

So then on Friday I saw Juno, this flick about a 16-year-old girl who gets knocked up by her boyfriend and decides to have the baby. Sounds like it's been done before, doesn't it? I guess it has. In this one the girl finds a yuppie couple dying to adopt. Here's a picture of them and Justin Bateman is very sexy. My girlfriend said Duh, everybody knows that. Jennifer Garner does a good job, very longing and such. I saw this movie in one of those trendy places where you go and order a burger and fries to eat at a table while the movie plays. It was full of young kids and more tee heeing than I wanted. But the dialogue was great and I was just waiting to see what the girl would say next. So that's my verdict: predictable plot, predictable ending, but hilarious dialogue. Hey. I've seen worse. But I would like to kill the group of underage drunks who sat next to me.

Last, I saw ONCE. It's Irish and very hard to understand. Most of the time I was going "Huh?" and "What did he say?" It too has a predictable plot. Aspiring singer makes a demo tape and falls in love with piano-playing Czechoslovakian girl Terrific tunes and I may have to buy the



glen_hansgard2.jpg

soundtrack. I love the way the Europeans all wear scarves. Sometimes they skip the coat or jacket but they always have a great scarf wound around the neck. My mother used to put Vicks on a cloth and put it around my neck and I always think of that when I look at the Europeans. Call it chic or call it Vicks.

I want to meet one of those cute Irish guys with a scarf. I sing alto.

I think all three of these are Oscar contenders. If I had to vote for one?

Well, hmmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Juno, I think. For it's life-affirming message and strong family theme. The dad is great.
And an unexpected expectant girl.
In the end, I guess wallpaper only takes us so far, though I hate admitting it.
A bientot
love,
becky

6 Comments:

At 5:35 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I was thinking of seeing Once ... but it sounds like Juno should be the one to go see. Thanks for the reviews - I feel I can rely on your taste and incisive discernment.

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

ONCE is really very good, CB. I feel bad if I have kept you from it. The music especially is worth the effort, just a bit of a weak plot is all.
b

 
At 6:14 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

No I wasn't going to be put off ... ABM's keen to see it for the music and I'm looking forward to the mood (and the scarves now! I'm a sucker for scarves.)
Having read what you thought about it will help me go with realistic expectations - always a valuable asset.
Going to see Juno will be a bonus, as I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You are my friend, CB, as always. I think ABM will love it. I'm still humming myself.

b

 
At 1:32 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Juno was the only one I'd heard of, but after your comments and browsing off to check out the trailers, I'd like to see the other two also. Keira is very fetching, I must say -- during the trailer while I'm trying to remember that other movie I saw her in, big letters came up and whacked me on the head with it (Pride & Prejudice). Love the old lady commenting, though!

But I can't go to a movie like those with my buddy, and I can't see going alone either, so I'll have to wait for video I guess!

Pity you don't care for a violent flick, because my buddy with good movie knowledge picked No Country For Old Men for our last movie-night, and it was a FANTASTIC film. All fascinating characters and excellent dialog and writing and filming... But violence was a fundamental story element.

Which one was on the gigantic screen?

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

ONCE was on the big home entertainment center, which isn't really as big as the movie theater, but just seems so I guess when you're lying on the couch.

I have to be lured and tricked into movies out of my niche. Every now and then I do enjoy one. :)
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home