Saturday, October 27, 2007

Breather


Foliage is just past peak here in central Mass. Apples are at the apex of exquisiteness and I have two bags of Empires in the fridge. [note: with all my dental work, I cut my apples now. Not quite the same pleasure as biting in, but we make compromises, don't we, dear reader?]
As the Red Sox travel, we get a chance to catch up on ordinary life.
Right?
What is that anyway? Oh yes, my regular job. I'm entering the Wicked Witch segment of the semester, which is entirely appropriate around Halloween, I suppose. I seem constantly to be bitching and harping about one thing or another, primarily spelling other people's names right. Here are some common wrong spellings.
Hemmingway
EM Foster
Steven King
Edgar Allen Poe
Updyke
I always ask my students, how do you like it when someone gets YOUR name wrong? Sometimes if I'm very quiet, I can hear their answer from inside their brains: I DON'T GIVE A FK.
All right then. Here are a few thoughts.
Josh Beckett got some tips on bunting during practice at Coors Field in Denver on Friday.
What's with these big thick ropey necklaces some of the players are wearing? We've gone from 50-karat blinding gold to hemp. Is it some kind of pot-smoking message? Marijuana solidarity between the boys? I have no clue.
I hardly ever watch TV, so I'm seeing all these commercials for the first time. I'm already sick to death of watching that girl run into the car. I'm not quite sick to death of the guy with the lap dog, but I'm close.
All this talk about the high altitude having an effect on the game strikes me as not unlike the alarmist talk around the Y2K thing, if anybody remembers that.
But the big question is:
What will we do when the Series is over?
Be here now, reader, because it's all good.
A bientot
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 7:01 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Loved your comments about the Red Sox players (pitchers?) I think you could earn money writing cvs! ;)
Some of those spellings looked right to me ... (I thought Hemingway had two ms and Edgar Allen Poe looked right to me too - uh-oh. )

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I drive my students crazy, CB. It's Edgar AllAn Poe. I'm such a bitch.

b

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

There is an antidote to commercials, if not cheap: TiVo. I skip over them with a few button clicks, like blowing them away! (A few more clicks than in the regular season, because Fox is really laying on the ads during the postseason.) At the moment I'm waiting for the Pats game to far enough along before I start watching, so I can skip ahead over the ads without catching up...

BTW, an odd detail about those car ads with the woman hitting it (and the other one with the bank robbers in the same old car): it's for the "all new Malibu" that you cannot ignore, but that old gold car is an old Malibu! So they admit it was dull! I submit that the new one will be too, after several years. When that gold Malibu came out, the ads said "the car you knew America could build". Hmmm, true...

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, sm, it makes you wonder if anyone is paying attention at the ad agency. I keep wondering if that woman hurt herself running into the car.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home