Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Nose Where?




That's right, baby. To the grindstone!!!


My nose is already a little small and beaky, so this would be a fearful activity for me in literal terms. Gosh, think of all the folks with large, well, you-know-what and it rhymes with snozzolas, who could save so much cash by just leaning down into this puppy and whittling a bit off the edge. You'll never see this apparatus at a plastic surgeon's because they don't want you to know about it.
But I digress. Alas, I have turned my attention away from the fun tasks of summer, such as harping and bitching about Hannaford's, to real and actual work, such as grading papers and preparing class. May I say one thing? The harping and bitching are SO much more fun. Mind you, I could h and b about class, but it's not time for that yet. Everyone is so cute and eager. They are all smooth-combed little otters, sitting there and barking when I ask.




I know, I know. Otters probably don't bark.



Do I have to get everything right? Don't answer that.



I rise each morning at 6 am, dear reader. Oh dear god, I can barely stand it. I'd love to say I get on the treadmill, but my own treadmill, or "threadmill" as an old coupon client used to say, is still doing its impression of a bureau and just standing there. Anything electrical that just kind of hums when you turn it on?? to me is nature's way of saying RUN FOR YOUR LIVES. Also I was recently told that squirrels (nature's dirty little secret) have chewed through my power lines outside and they (the wires or whatever they are) need to be repaired immediately. You know what I say to that, dear reader. Lah dee dah. Ho hum. The thing is, these people insist on getting paid for their work and that hampers my repair schedule.
My regular place of exercise, the high school track, is overrun with school sports right now and I don't enjoy walking around the periphery of the football team, not that they aren't getting some enjoyment out of my pitiful attempts.
DO YOU SEE THAT WOMAN? I BET ANY ONE OF US COULD WALK BACKWARDS WEARING A BLINDFOLD AND GO FASTER THAN SHE IS.
Here's what I say to that.
See this big piece of gum? Which car is yours, honey?
Now I don't mean that of course. I'm a peaceloving bighearted woman. Just don't distract me while I'm getting used to school.
I seem to be writing the nun book while I'm not writing. It's a great technique. I think I'm arriving at a big plot point that will be totally inappropriate and my agent may hate.
I miss summer.
A bientot
love,
becky
counter free hit unique web

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I know what you mean about nose to the grindstone - never thought there'd ever be an actual picture of one!
Lots of fun reading here at your place, as usual. Thanks.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Still enjoying your poems, CB.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home