Monday, September 17, 2007

Getting a Few In

Law Library - BooksDo you ever try to accomplish something right before the buzzer? JUST before you have to stop, do you rush out there and try for one more? I do and always have. Right now, before the massive Paper Influx begins, I am trying to suck down as many pleasurable novels as I can.


I read Robert Crais's WATCHMAN and swallowed it almost whole (one day).


I read PRIEST by Ken Bruen in less. Oh man, is this ever a good book. I HOWLED even though it's dark and depressing and leaves little hope. This guy orders a whiskey and leaves it sitting. You are on edge the whole book to see if he will relent.


I'm reading SCANDAL OF THE SEASON by Sophie Gee and it's delicious. I needed to know more about Alexander Pope, anyway. Sophie is on faculty at Princeton and I hope Joyce Carol Oates is friendly to her. I love her too.


Let's see, what else. Oh yes. TRAVELER by Ron McLarty and it was excellent. You know, I have to say it violated one of the cardinal rules that I have learned about writing. Make your beginning compelling and interesting. His was not. But oh gosh, am I ever glad I stuck with it.


This is just to commemorate summer and the silliness.
What possessed me to do this?
I do not know.
Does it go with the Dairy Queen poses? The attempts at Winslett/DiCaprio verisimilitude?
I think not.
A Big Truth: the difference between mid-August and mid-September is vast.
A moment of silence on that.
A bientot
love,
becky

2 Comments:

At 2:55 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You go for it girl (with the DQ poses, I mean.) I want to see more.

Hey thanks for the book list - now I have some reading to catch up on I can see. I believe yours and my reading tastes could be similar ...

Good luck with your Scarfies (the name for students here in Dunedin ... the Uni students used to wear long, knitted scarves in winter and the locals started calling them Scarfies.) There's actually a whole Scarfie movie - called 'Scarfies' - you should look it out, I KNOW you'd enjoy it.) :)

 
At 6:15 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I will definitely look for that movie, CB. I think our tastes are definitely the same.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home