Saturday, September 29, 2007

AL East Champs

Okay, so this is Step One in The Quest. They at least got this far. I did not get to see last night's game, but have been scrutinizing Globe photos.
Jonathan Papelbon closed out Boston's victory over Minnesota.
Here is Jonathan Papelbon, last night's closer, being congratulated by catcher Jason Varitek, a good looking guy but with a low hairline (you can't see it in this pic). That's all right. The lower the better when it comes to playoffs.
Papelbon hoisted a cooler over his head in the locker room.
Jonathan Papelbon a bit later and a bit scarier. WHERE DO YOU WANT THIS COOLER?
The Red Sox clinched their first division title in 12 years Friday night by beating the Twins 5-2 at Fenway and then watching the Orioles rally to beat the Yankees in extra innings. (NESN Screen shot)
Here's JP the closer with Dice K, the starter, united in the ritual of liquor drunk and sprayed. One looks very well-fed-with-meat-and-potatoes and the other very cut-that-sushi-crap-and-show-me-some-Taco-Bell
They weren't disappointed, as Baltimore rallied from three down to beat the Bombers in extra innings, clinching the division for the Sox and setting off a celebration in the stands, in the locker room, and on the field.
Red Sox Nation, not caring in the slightest where their cars are or what's happening to them.
David Ortiz sprayed champagne in the locker room.
David Ortiz, also known as Big Papi, also known as God.
Red Sox players celebrated on the field.
I don't really like seeing the players in their shorts. It's embarrassing. They're very white and googly-looking.
With a beer in one hand and a bottle of bubbly in the other, Jonathan Papelbon danced in his postgame outfit.
Sometimes there's just nothing else to say but wow. Papelbon again, Being Here Now and auditioning for some kind of calendar. I think a number of organizations would be proud to have him. Gasp. Flutter.
All right, so I got off cheap today with a few photos. Hopefully, I won't get sued by the Globe. Thanks, Globe. You guys are the best.
A bientot
love,
becky

5 Comments:

At 12:29 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Yeah, go Sox! Now that I'm a fair-weather fan, I'm not as close to the celebrating, but I'm happy to see them get the division win finally. Maybe I'll even watch some games now! I started by watching most of the re-airing of the Friday game this afternoon, but it's a good thing I already knew the outcome, since the NESN crawl across the bottom kept giving it away by reporting they'd clinched!

Plus I'm extra satisfied because some hater at work hung a Yankees logo outside his office just last week -- take that karma-boy!

 
At 7:00 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Could be time for some inter-office taunting, SM. I know I'd be doing it....of course what really matters is what happens next. Remind them of this....last Red Sox World Series win? 2004. last Yankees World Series win? 2000.

b

 
At 5:48 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

If I was a baseball fan - or even knew anything much about it - believe me, it'd be Red Sox all the way!!!
And you'd be an All Black's (sounds racist but it's actually because of the colour of the uniform - all black ... heh heh ...) fan wouldn't you - if you knew anything at all about rugby? Go the ABs (for the Rugby World Cup on at the mo in France.) ABs play France in Wales - yes, blimin' weird eh? - Don't Ask Me Why! for the quarter finals.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

GO ABs!!!!!!!!

b

 
At 12:55 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I like that the world is vast enough for there to be really big-time sports that are only regionally understood. I like that baseball isn't well known among kiwis and the average US sports fan wouldn't know there was a world cup of rugby right now. I also like that there's enough info-tech that if you want follow something, you can. Mainstream America watches NASCAR (yech) but I follow (Euro-oriented) F1 (because it's much much better) and we have good coverage here on cable. If I got inspired by CB's team, I see from the TV listings that I could even watch some rugby world cup quarterfinals this coming weekend (on Versus)!

It all makes the world more interesting I think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home