Monday, August 13, 2007

Writing Hard



I have talked to friends on this subject of writing and everyone is different. Some people say they write because they have to. They have stories to tell. Some say they do it for therapy or to make money (not many in this category).


I'm thinking today about the top moments in writing--the really sublime exquisite ones. What are they?


Book signings? Nah. They're okay, but you have to worry about your hair.


People complimenting you at a book signing? That's good. I always feel I don't deserve it. (I was raised Catholic--we never feel we deserve anything) And what else are they going to say at a book signing? I drove ten miles to this so I could tell you in person that your work sucks.


Emails from readers saying they liked your book? Those are very wonderful and kind of scary. I'm like the person pointing to himself, going "Me? Are you talking to me?"


Good reviews? Those are great. They make you feel good for at least a day and help make you feel better about the bad reviews.




Phone calls from agents saying you have a deal. Those are huge and will elevate you several yards above terra firma. This is close to the top because of the validation you get. Wow, my work really is worth something.

But honestly? A good day writing is the best. When you sit back and read a scene or an exchange or a passage you've written and feel the glow of something special. Now down the road, when you let this puppy out of your tender care, it will get punched around and bashed and you may well lose the glow. It's precious. For me, it's the best part. And I'm having it now.
This nun thing is taking shape. Wish I could finish it before school starts.
A bientot
love,
becky
p.s. Mouse in the house!!! And the two cats look at me like I'm wearing a donkey head when I tell them to GO FOR IT!! KILL THE LITTLE BASTARD!! DO YOUR THING!!! Sigh. Curse of the Old Cats, I guess.

4 Comments:

At 11:07 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

When you do signings for the nun book, maybe they could rig up a little confessional booth right there in Barnes and Lattes and you could sign books and slide them out a little slot. It's on theme, plus nobody would be able to see your hair!

Sounds like maybe you should invite those crazy young cats over for an afternoon hunt.

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

SM, that is a FABULOUS idea for a booksigning!!!!

b

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Glad the book's going well.I've got writer's block. Can you hear my teeth grinding from over there?

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Oh CB, I am so sorry. You will surely break out of it soon. I will send good thoughts your way!!!

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home