Thursday, June 21, 2007

Living the Cape Dream


I always think Cape Cod looks something like a guy holding his muscled arm up in the air. Provincetown would be his hand, Hyannis I think the elbow, and Falmouth the fleshy underarm. One of those Dr. Seuss dudes like the Grinch or Cat in the Hat, except we can't see his head. We're looking at him from the back.




Right?





Here's another look. It also could be someone's crooked finger, stuck out in the ocean beckoning someone over in England to get over here forthwith.



Really, I just wanted to say "forthwith" publicly and I'm over it now.














Here we are at one of our favorite places, Betsey's Diner in Falmouth. The advice in Betsey's window reminds everyone to "EAT HEAVY."


And it's in neon, folks, so what choice do we have?

The hash at Betsey's is divine (if you are my student, I'm referring to a meat dish, not an hallucinogenic substance, although you might see a few spots in front of your eyes after eating it).


We also like driving past the Nobska lighthouse in Falmouth. I think it's called the "Nob." It's very starkly beautiful as I guess are most lighthouses, but this one isn't difficult to get to, like many that you see on PBS. We like that. We're not into that "over hill and dale" thing.








You have to cross the Bourne Bridge to get to the Cape. Personally, I don't like bridges. I don't like to see them looming out of the distance. They scare me. Interestingly, I have talked to other people who say the same thing.




I pretty much have to grit my teeth getting across, especially if I am driving.







This is what you see when you first come across the bridge (over the Cape Cod Canal), this fun sort of topiary memorial to the cape. My friend's husband says he feels relaxed as soon as he gets to this point.



I am not a Massachusetts or New England native, so I am less relaxed and more worried about which road to take off the rotary.


There are restaurants and beaches, little shops with fabulous earrings and scarves, bookstores, statues and plaques (you gotta love statues and plaques).



And of course the really important stuff. Fellowship with my friends and a cone dipped in chocolate.



Almost Heaven. Wait. Is that slogan taken?

Living the Dream at the Cape

A bientot
counter free hit unique web


love,
Becky

5 Comments:

At 12:56 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

We had a few extended family vacations when I was a kid where we stayed in a cottage on the inner part of the elbow, and then when I was in college I lived down on the fleshy underarm for several weeks for SEA semester -- great fun, though sadly we never discovered that diner.

Build a sand castle for those of us who are only vicariously living the dream!

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You got, SM!!

b

 
At 6:48 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Now here - right here - see. This. This is what I mean when I say Where are all the informative , quick -all-you-need-to-know-in-a-few-funny-sentences about some place you are curious about? It's THIS I have been searching for. THANK YOU Becky! Keep living the dream. I'm liking the look of it. ;)

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Gee thanks, CB. You do it all the time yourself, of course.

b

 
At 2:13 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I've tagged you. (Forgive me? I'll say Three Hail Marys!) Go to my blog to find out more - if you dare!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home