Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Lawn Update because I can't help it



I tried very hard today to start the lawnmower. If the Lawnmower Police are coming, that is my answer.


It has gas.


It has oil.


It has my yanking powerful effort.


But no. It won't.


A couple of years ago, I wasn't holding down the proper lever, but this time I was.



Aren't my irises beautiful? Oh, they are. Pay no attention to the leaves embedded there.


Next week I have a Family Event, so I MUST take care of this. I am already thinking about how I will waylay some male protagonist to help me.


I do regret (sometimes) the gender roles that we follow. I am already on record complaining about female roles concerning Christmas and holidays. We do parboil and devein the shrimp. I admit it. But you men have reason to complain also. And here is part of it.
MAN'S WORK
1) Mopping up sewage in the basement
2) Taking out the garbage (although I do that), especially when it has to be rebagged.
3) automotive difficulties, including flat tires, transmission problems, really anything to do with the car not starting.
4) middle of the night noises--a man must be willing to explore those
5) where the car is parked--a man should be able to retrieve the car wherever it is. My father always knew where the car was.
6) paying the check (even if we are really paying)
7) telling us we look nice (and not fat)
8) small appliance diffiulties, like the toaster. What we want to hear is, "I'll take a look at it."

Shouldn't we all be having more fun?
Living the Dream, dear reader
love.
becky

7 Comments:

At 1:16 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Number 1 probable culprit: old gasoline. It was relatively recently that I learned that old gas doesn't work well if at all, and that "old" can mean "months" or even "weeks". In my epiphany event, a chainsaw with gas and oil that worked when I'd last put it away, but now refused to start, made a miraculous recovery when I put fresh gas in it.

If it's not that, next would be the spark plug. Then clogged fuel and/or air filters. You need good gas, air, and spark for it to run. I'm guessing bad oil would not prevent it from starting -- that would just make it run poorly.

Just tell the family that you're trying the meadow-look this year. My mom did that for a while, actually buying a package of meadow seeds (had wildflowers and such) to sprinkle in the back yard, because she was tired of mowing ("grass is a stupid crop", she said). But she's back to mowing now after a few years of that (using an electric mower).

 
At 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Sandman - Bad gas is a problem too - The gas should be drained every fall as well as the oil changed - Glad to see you are on top of things.

Of course, a new shiny lawnmower sounds great to me. Ohhhh....I am excited already. Love new equipment!

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I am going to have to choose between the new shiny lawnmower and a new shiny charcoal grill. Don't think I can justify both.

SM, I am definitely going to try the "new gas" theory. Tomorrow.

b

 
At 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

B.,

Yes, you can justfiy both! - You are now a successful writer. Money is no object. And, what may I ask are you having people over for?
Am I invited?

 
At 11:34 PM , Blogger Mark said...

New shiny lawnmower or a new shiny charcoal grill? No contest, surely. What about changing light bulbs? Is that a guy thing too?

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Mark,

Yes, lightbulbs!! I should have thought of that.

b

 
At 6:49 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

YES!!! to all those Man-Tasks. That is so true. You have a mind like a steel trap Becks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home