Sunday, April 01, 2007

Track and Field for Authors




Okay, shall we try the pole vault first? My personal best is one foot three inches and that's actually without the pole. Oh wait. Is this pole vault or pole dance? They don't seem to have a pole dancing event and that is too bad, although I'm not a good dancer technically, just full of enthusiasm.

Can you imagine actually having the nerve to push yourself over this thing? I prefer to point at it. I'm good at pointing.







Let's go over here and try the hurdles. I've overcome many hurdles in my life and am facing one or two now, including my slow-as-molasses wip (work in progress). All right here we go, UP and we did it, now run a little bit and UP, here we go again, and OVER the hurdle. See? You get the rhythm of it and you're fine. This shot was taken right before I fell backwards on my ass.

You can see my car there ready for the getaway.




It takes skill to pick a good seat in the bleachers. It's a bit weird when you are here by yourself because the whole prefab aluminum structure groans and creaks sometimes for no reason. You could start believing in New Age stuff if you sat here often enough. Or even UFOs. What was that noise? Is there a Bad Guy creeping up somewhere?







In the end, you just have to relax.

And that's what I am doing on this Sunday.

I'm planning to see my life ahead of me in a vision. If I want, I can leap up and perform "Morning Glow" from PIPPIN. You never know.

A bientot

love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 12:26 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a great place to get some workouts going. And you were the only one there? Wow!
Thanks for showing us around! I've often wondered what Americans were going on about with bleachers. There are lots of references to bleachers in movies, sitcoms etc. When I think about it, just about every movie or tv programme will at some stage have a 'bleacher's scene'. I guess it's a metaphor for a whole lot of social commentary stuff - compressed social structures or whatever ... help me out here Becky, I'm becoming beached in bleacher references!

 
At 7:17 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks CB,

If you "sit in the bleachers," it usually means you have cheap seats. Under the bleachers is a place for covert activity, whatever that might be.

b

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I got to wondering where the word comes from, not having thought about it before, and the web tells me that it's because the seating boards (in original wooden ones) were bleached by exposure to the sun. One site pointed out that nowadays we use the term for similar steating even indoors. The origin is attriubted to the Chicago Tribune in 1889, perhaps referring to seats at the Cubs' baseball park. Speaking of which, I just remembered today was the Red Sox opening day. Hmm, just checked the score, not good...

What do they call bleachers in the other hemisphere -- grandstands maybe?

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You are a fount of knowledge, SM. Thanks for that.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home