Thursday, April 05, 2007

Show Biz


My very first role on the stage was in a play I wrote myself for the Girl Scouts. It had a drunk scene in it and caused something of a furor at Thomas Jefferson School. I cast a boy I liked in the role (even though he was not a Girl Scout) and got to play opposite him and direct us both. That's what you call titillating and I learned it early.





And that's also why I always smile when I see a Barbra Streisand movie. Not that I don't like her anyway, but Barb casts herself opposite Jeff Bridges, Mandy Patimkin, etc. That girl understands titillating too.



My first community theatre role was in something called TEN NIGHTS IN A BAR ROOM and it was the most dreadful flop. I wore an enormous padded corset that gave me an eye-popping figure. I tried to transfer it here from my web site, but couldn't do it. It's in the "drama" section and is captioned "Better Living Through Styrofoam" if you want to see it. People left in droves at intermission.



I played Ado Annie in Oklahoma! not long after that and had a blast. She is the comic secondary character I always got cast in (shock!!). The guy playing Will Parker was a heavy sweater and after our stage kiss, I was always soaked. I think he was a heavy salivator also and I sometimes had to turn away so I could wipe my mouth off afterwards. A good guy, though!!

I guess it's a day for reminiscing.





A bientot

love,
becky

3 Comments:

At 8:38 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Hmm, is there some sort of merit badge for that? :-)

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

There should be, SM!!!!

b

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That is so funny about the sweaty guy. I've often wondered about opera singers ... how they must be able to smell the bad breath. Did you sing as well?
I loved attending the stage shows Mum would take me too as a kid - 'Annie Get Your Gun' was a favourite - 'Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better. No you can't! Yes I can!'


'Better Living With Styrofoam' sounds like the title for a book! ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home