Friday, April 06, 2007

IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY











But it so happens I was tagged by my very talented friend Chief Biscuit for WHAT HAPPENED ON YOUR BIRTHDAY?

My birthday is September 12. Did anything happen on that day?

Ever?

I remember my seventeenth, or one tiny piece of it. I was a senior at Mt. St. Mary's High School in Little Rock and it was a Saturday. My best friend, Linda Hunkapiller, and I were walking up a steep hill--quite near her boyfriend's house, to whom she is married still. I do not remember why we were walking or where we were going, but I know I wore a blue and black plaid outfit, sewn by my mother.

I had met some boy on a bus the day before and Linda and I were whispering and strategizing over what I should do. He had asked me on a date for that night which I had accepted, and Linda was forced to tell me there was a surprise party planned for me. It was a deuced awkward quandary to be in but I guess it got solved because I can't remember what happened. Can't remember who the boy was, either. So much for that birthday.




John and Jacqueline Kennedy were married on Sept. 12 at Hammersmith Farm in Newport, RI, which I have driven by and felt a certain connection to. Pitiful, you say? I wouldn't dispute that.





Henry Hudson discovered the Hudson River on my birthday!!!! That's what it says on Wikipedia so how can that be wrong (if you are my student, you may not use Wikipedia).




But here's the BIg One!!!





ELIZABETH BARRETT ELOPES WITH ROBERT BROWNING!!!! Ohmygod, that is the BEST.

I am so HONORED to have the birthday of passion, as it were.

I will end with that.

You didn't really want to know if hostages were released on my birthday, did you, dear reader? Aren't you happy that my birthday celebrated LOVE?




Maybe it was a curse, haha.

A bientot
love,
becky
WAYD?

4 Comments:

At 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was probably a curse.

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I don't really think so, jj. I'm more of an optimist than that. :)

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That is the best birthday account yet - I knew I could trust in you Becky.
What a strange surname your friend had!
I'm so glad you had a connection with the elopement of two poets.
September the 12th has such an auspicious ring to it.

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, CB, your own birthday account was awfully good.

Yes, I'd rather be associated with an elopement than start of a war, say.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home