Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Let us Be Elegant or Die





Those words are from one of my heroes, Jo March in LITTLE WOMEN. But someone should tell this girl that she wasn't really SERIOUS. Is this gross? How do people look at themselves in the mirror when they look like this? This makes me want to eat a sandwich. I won't, though. Only three pounds to go for High School Weight. Trust me, I was never this thin.










Kinda makes you happy to see this gal, doesn't it? She's swingin' it. Go, baby!!! I don't look like her either and never did. I said goodbye to Somewhat Big Thighs (that sounds like a personals ad and I bet it would get some replies) and good riddance.









This girl is probably really thin too. Sometimes you have to take a good look at an arm sticking out or a leg. Then you see it. Yikes. A toothpick

I think it's so cute how men always think we weigh less than we do. I read a book a few years ago that had a five foot nine main character. The male author said that she wasn't fat and wasn't thin at 115 pounds. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. That is SKELETAL. I see this everywhere, but of course we never say anything. I contributed to it in COUPON GIRL when I had Jeanie get all upset at weighing 140. Of course I didn't say how tall she was so that's my excuse.

My high school weight was 145. I am five feet six and a half and weigh 148. I look pretty slender, most people say. I'd never make the Dallas cheerleader squad, but I'm a little long in the tooth for that anyway. Can you imagine being at the auditions for that? A great time to drop acid. (I stole that line from WHAT DO YOU DO ALL DAY-- I LOVE it--still waiting for my friend's book--come on, Amazon).

I purchased a few schmattes today so I can look presentable with my agent Thursday night. I will be elegant and probably fall flat on my face in the subway. Personally, I think New Hampshire ought to change their present license plate slogan (Live Free or Die) to Jo March's words.


A bientot
love,
becky

7 Comments:

At 2:10 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

My first thought upon loading up today's post, seeing the words "die" and "heros" near that first picture, was that it was going to be about starving children somewhere -- that's a disturbing picture!

I'm trying not to imagine what else might have turned up in whatever Google searches you did to find all these! :-)

Kudos to you for laying out all the facts about yourself; I respect that. I used to be more like that I think. In college I always signed my name to normally-anonymous teacher evaluation forms, feeling that my words didn't mean anything if I didn't. But now here I am posting anonymously on this blog...

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I hear you, SM. I once filled out some questionnaire in my high school honestly and caused a furor. I sat there and pretended I never wrote it, too, when the nun harangued us over it.
Sometimes anonymity is good.

b

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Men are particularly clueless about how much women weigh and what size dress they wear. Most of us have learnt from hard experience that any questions relating to these topics are best answered by playing dumb - the dumber the better. That's no excuse for the author with the 115-pound character mind you.

LOL at Somewhat Big Thighs - you have to use that in a story somewhere.

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, Mark, you're right about men being better off leaving those subjects alone, come to think of it.

The one question a man doesn't want to answer--"Does this make me look fat?"

love,b

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

You're right though, sometimes anonymity is good -- I certainly wouldn't want to live in a society where it wasn't available. And thinking about it more, I think an anonymous comment could also carry more weight than a non-anonymous one if the recipient of the comment took it at face value rather than, say, dismissing it based on who wrote it. The perspective added by knowing the author cuts both ways! Which brings up interesting questions with respect to a published author's blog, I suppose...

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What was that woman in the white dress thinking?? That is so gross.
Good on you for getting back to your high school weight. I was 100 lbs wringing wet - and I am now so far from that it's not funny. I am 5' 2'' and always think it's unfair that being short means I should be 125 lbs. I am far away from that! (But at least not as far away as the other bigger woman you featured.)
I am inspired by your success Becky. It helps keep me plodding on towards my goal weight. I'll let you know when I make it.

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Keep the faith, CB!!

Solidarity,
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home