Thursday, March 29, 2007

Becky's Fax Machine Theory of Writing




No, I don't mean to fax through pages from WAR AND PEACE and pass them off as your own. I'm talking about that sound that the fax machine makes as it labors to send a page, when it's really working and suffering from some unaccountable lag or delay.

DIT. DIT. DIT. Or when it gets a tiny bit faster, DITDITDIT. DIT. DIT..When it's barely barely going through.

Get me?

That sense you have as you stand there that everything hangs in the balance, if the page can just make it a few more dits in, it will get there and you will be so lucky.

That's sort of the way my writing is going right now. One word at a time, one labored paragraph at a time. I'm hoping like heck that something is coming through.

Flash to another subject: Had dinner with lovely and talented agent Kristin Nelson tonight in Boston, along with other clients of hers Hank Philippi Ryan and Jennifer O'Connell. We laughed our asses off. Wish I could tell you the subjects, but I simply cahn't.

Tomorrow I go to the romance convention. Doesn't that sound like a lot of people posed on couches making out? I wish.

A bientot
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Have fun!
And yes I know what you mean about the dit dit dit.
Sometimes I can write a paragraph and then have to have a break and then return to write just another paragraph before I get the itchy feet again. This writing lark can be laborious.
Why do we do it? Remind me again ...

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

We must be crazy, CB!!!

b

 
At 11:52 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ah ha! So it was the real Hank last fall!

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I loved the comparison with the stuttering fax machine. Where's the reset button!?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home