Monday, November 20, 2006

Turkey



HAHAHA!! I mean the gobble/gobble kind of course, not the Constantinople kind. Though I'd love to visit Istanbul.

Actually, the map shown here looks a tiny bit like Massachusetts without Cape Cod. Or I guess you could say it looks like Tennessee, though a bit thicker and not as long. Tell the truth, if you didn't know what country this was, or state or province, what would you have thought?

I got into an argument in class recently when I said that in my opinion, an educated person in our country knows the capitals of all 50 states. "Not all fifty!" my students cried. "YES!" I answered. "Do YOU know all fifty?" they asked and I said I did. God help me. They started peppering me with states and I got them all. Good thing they didn't ask Missouri--is that Jefferson City? I know it isn't St. Louis. I still say an American should know all the capitals. You know, I think I'm a little fuzzy on some of them. North Carolina? Yeesh.

No offense to the midwest, but they like to go heavy on the Velveeta and the Cool Whip. I am headed into its confines tomorrow and hope to maintain control over my gluten consumption. (High School Weight, folks--it's coming!) It may be like the smell of blood to a wolf, though, if I get in front of that Rotel/Velveeta cheese dip. The last time I stood in front of a vat of it, I mawed it (maued?) till I was sick. See, that's my problem. I take a good thing and push the limits, although on the other hand, ain't nothin' wrong with a little limit pushing.

No bloggling until I get back on Saturday.

I am very thankful for all I have and especially for the ones close to me.

I love you all.

A bientot
b

2 Comments:

At 12:57 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Is it enough to have known all the capitals at one point in one's life? For real, not just crammed overnight for some grammar-school quiz. I'm sure I did, but bet I wouldn't get them all now. I did come up with Raleigh after a couple minutes, but didn't dare write it here without checking google first!

How do you feel about Canadian provinces? That I never did know, a fact with which I've horrified more than one Canadian at cocktail parties. They especially detest, I've found, any exploration of why they might not have been learned in the first place.

I would not have known that was Turkey, and was startled by that large body of water above it that was missing from my mental map. But, now that you've brought it up, I've gone off and learned it's the Black Sea, which I've never quite known the whereabouts of -- good conversation starter for Thursday. So now I know two new georaphical things; we'll see how long I can retain them... quiz me in six months!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Okay, SM. The quiz is scheduled.

And I don't think one has to know ALL the Canadian provinces. So relax on that one.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home