Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ingredients

I hate it when someone is telling you how to prepare a food item and they are imprecise with directions.

Put some ketchup in.

HOW MUCH? A TEASPOON? A BOTTLE FULL?

I don't know. Just some ketchup.

OKAY. STAND BACK!!!!!!

Then later as you serve your soggy ketchupy baked bean casserole, you wonder what went wrong. My mother was famous for this.

Add a little flour.

BUT MOM, HOW MUCH?

Just keep adding till you think it's right.

OKAY. LOOK OUT!!!!


She once tried to teach me to sew on the sewing machine. What a disaster. I couldn't get it and she got more and more irritated. Um, I think she crossed over from irritated to enraged when I kept asking her why some of the terms (selfrage? I can't remember now) were spelled the way they were.

BECKY, I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT. WE'RE TRYING TO SEW, NOT SPELL. AND LOOK WHAT YOU JUST DID TO THAT BIG SWATCH OF EXPENSIVE MATERIAL.

It was doomed.

Short post today because many papers to grade. I think I am feeling a bit less exhausted now that a month has gone by. I may be turning the corner on the fatigue-o-meter. yaaaaay.

A bientot
love,
becky

3 Comments:

At 7:08 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Selvedges?

 
At 4:17 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hi I'm able to comment again YAY!!!

The word I believe is 'selvages'. You make me laugh!!!

I persisted in sewing (a lot of diasters) for years until one day i thought Why?? Esp as I hated it so much. I haven't even looked at a sewing machine since ...

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Nowadays I don't think too many women sew.

A lost art, though one I never enjoyed.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home