Thursday, August 31, 2006

Titles and other bits

I love titles. If I have a good title, I can write with confidence.

Here's one I may write sometime:

NOVOCAINE DATING: When You Just Don't Want To Feel Anything


Others include:


Whatever We Do, Someone's Going to be Wicked Pissed
The Optimistic Mailbox
Headed for Alfred Dunner
Sex Ruins Everything


My friend Christine and I come up with dozens of these and I can't remember all of them. A good title will make me pick up a book and sometimes a title will keep me from picking it up. Louise Wener's GOODNIGHT STEVE MCQUEEN almost didn't get read by me because I am not a fan of SM the late movie star.

Right now I am writing a secret document. I will report on it Monday.

Apropos to nothing: I went into Old Navy recently and was appalled. To my eye it looks as though dirty clothes have been pulled out of the hamper all wadded up and gross, and then hung up on hangers for sale. Yuck.

Filene's has turned into Macy's, a sad occurrence. You can really tell as you walk through the store. Lower quality all the way around. Still, I will shop there because I refuse to drive all the way to Natick Mall or some such outpost. If they don't have it at Solomon Pond, I don't need it.

Last day of August is very sad. But it's been a great summer.

A bientot
becky

3 Comments:

At 10:32 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I miss Filene's too -- I'm not much of a clothes shopper, but as soon as they were gone I realized I shopped there more than anywhere else, and as far as I can tell, Macy's has not combined with them, just replaced them. In the mall that I frequent, Macy's and Filene's faced each other across a (longish) hall, and now the "new" Macy's has moved into the old Filene's store, and barely changed a thing in the process.

title suggestion: Macy's Ain't No Filene's
excerpt:
Discussion in the Federated boardroom one Friday morning last year:
"We've got to cut back on our printing costs. We're sending 250 glossy pages of ads per month to every living soul in Massachusetts."
"We can't cut back, it's tradition."
"Well, what if we just eliminate one brand then?"
"Hmm, not bad -- which one, 'ya reckon?"
"I dunno, let's flip a coin. What difference does it make?"
"Nah, just keep the one with the parade."
"Beautiful, do it. Let's go for martinis."

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

HAR, sandman1.

That sounds like the Natick Mall. And I refuse to drive there!!!

love the title,
b

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Nope, not Natick, Nashua. But now that I think about it, the other two malls I sometimes use also both had a Filene's and Macy's fairly close together.

They're all made of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home