Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Favorite Places to Sit

I still love to sit on the front steps of my parents' house in Little Rock. Many cars whiz by there now because it has become such a busy shortcut between two other roads. I still think someone might go by that I know.

I love to sit anywhere I can see Keuka Lake, NY. To me it is the most beautiful place in the world, probably because I spent summers there as a child. It's my emotional center in many ways.

I like to sit on my brother's back deck, overlooking Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, Ark. Far off in the distance a bridge can be seen and I always joke that we are going to count the number of cars that go across. I've never been on the bridge so that I could look over at the house and have that "backwards" feeling. Well, that is probably my normal feeling in life anyway.

I like to sit at the Nashoba Regional High School track in Bolton, Mass. It's peaceful there and my kids all performed in various ways on its field, my boys in football and my daughter in the band. I like walking around it too. I get good ideas there. It feels like my kids are still there sometimes. I look for them as I walk.

I like to sit on the rock behind my house. It's a great big flat thing and you can lie down on it. Used to be you could see the sky through the pine trees, but the forest has encroached and now you can't. This is making me think of mowing the lawn and feelings of guilt are encroaching also.

Finally, I like to sit on my own kitchen stoop. I guess I'm a stoop sitter. It feels natural to me. You never know who will drive by, or in my case, in.

Bien sur,

b

1 Comments:

At 4:39 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

'I like walking around it too. I get good ideas there. It feels like my kids are still there sometimes. I look for them as I walk.'

Love that - I can identify with that - the birds have flown and the memories remain - or is that too morbid? It's a feeling of what was still being present.

Al your sitting places sound cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home