Sunday, June 25, 2006

police knowledge

I have tried to stay away from police procedure, etc., in this book, mainly because I don't know beans about it.

Right at the end, it can't be avoided, though, so I am madly reading up on criminal procedure, etc. WHAT? IS THIS A CRIMINAL BOOK? No, it isn't, but my girl is doing some shoplifting and gets caught. I need to know if the store would have the OPTION of prosecuting her or if the law requires her to be prosecuted.

I like the way Janet Evanovich has Stephanie Plum dating a cop, but we never actually see the inner workings of the cops. So the story has the SENSE of law enforcement without any details. Cleverly done and that's what I need for this chapter.

In other news, it's time to get my syllabus ready for summer school. Somehow, in the transition to my new computer last fall, the one syllabus that didn't get transferred over is the summer school one. RATS. ASS. SCROTUM. This means I have to do it all over again, which I suppose isn't a bad thing.

Prediction: 15 students. 5 bright and motivated, working ahead to get English 101 out of the way. 5 who failed it during the past year, maybe even in one of my classes. Reasonably motivated and willing to do the work. And 5 who failed English their senior year of high school and need to pass my course to get their high school diploma. You'd think these kids would be scared and really trying hard, but they are the worst slackers I get. I'm ready for them, though.

I have finished two of my characters in Victory--the professor and the old lady. It's fitting that the grocery girl goes last because she goes first. Fingers crossed that they are funny, interesting,brilliant, and compelling. Other than that, I have no goals. HAAAAAAAAAR

A bientot
becky

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I notice that scrotum word creeping in again !!! ... must mean work is looming on the horizon! Hope you can get some good writing time to balance.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Chief!!!

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger G-honey said...

HI B,
This is Jihyon by the way~~

The store has an option to prosecute (or not).
This is, I am ashamed to say, from a personal experience. I was caught trying to steal a eye liner when I was in high school. (and it was my first and last time)
They scared the crap out of me, saying that I will have to get a lawyer and everything, but it ended up being a warning. AND I was banned from Stop and Shop for a year (so they thought) - they had no way of tracking this and also didn't know anything because...I worked for them as a cashier the same summer...ha ha ha.
I'll be happy to give you more details of my experience if you'd like. If you promis not to think less of me~~~

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Wow, thanks for the info, g-honey--no way do I think less of you.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home