Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Exciting Conclusion

My last two scenes have to be BIG. I'm plunging through them but I think they are going to need further work. I passed 81,000 words and I think I will bring this puppy in at around 86 0r 87,000.

Endings are such a responsibility. Someone was telling me about Raymond Chandler, whose famous book and I can't remember which one, was being adapted into a screenplay by no less a writer than F. Scott Fitzgerald. Supposedly, Fitzgerald called Chandler on the phone and said, you know that guy who gets killed in chapter such-and-so? Yeah. Yeah? Well, who the hell killed him? It was never answered in the original book.

You can't do that. Your readers will rise up in a cloud of enmity and smite you. I don't think I've ever been smote. I've been smitten, though, a few times, and lived to regret it.

I'm not into this World Cup thing. The view on the television is so huge and panoramic that you can't see the little stuff. It just looks like EVERYBODY RUNS ONE WAY. OH MY GOD, THERE THEY GO!!!! Thundering, thundering, thundering. Now someone gives the ball a tiny shove and EVERYBODY RUNS THE OTHER WAY. OH MY GOD, THERE THEY GO. Thundering, thundering, AAAAAAARGH, DO IT AGAIN! I can't take it.

I'm still thinking about Big Love, the HBO series. My friend and I watched 12 episodes of it in 2 days. Of course if Bill Paxton is the polygamist husband, that's one story...but my luck it would be one of those gnarly old guys with the clip-on sunglasses. Yick. I'd be very generous about sharing my time with HIM.

La plume de ma tante est sur le table
becky
p.s. Thanks for the title suggestions. I'm still considering all of them.

5 Comments:

At 7:23 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Love the comment about he guy with the clip-on sunglasses! Never heard of 'Big Love' tho'.... I agree re the World Cup.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Chief. and thanks for your comment on my dad. He's still with us but not up to his old standard.

becky

 
At 1:01 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I was buying music in the Virgin Megastore in Paris two days ago and it was full of people standing around on every floor watching soccer on the dozens of TVs that presumably usually show music videos. France wasn't even in the game. Remarkably, two goals were scored in relatively short period (one by each team). It seems strange to me when that is not followed by "goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallll", but evidently that guy doesn't do the French broadcasts...

People were actually watching the US game at work today, in the conference room, a level of interest that surprised me...

Daylight lasted until well after 10 pm in Paris. Back here it's dimming shortly after 8, sigh.

The French supermarket I went to was named "Super U"; no title help there...

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

That is so exciting, sandman1, that you got to go to Paris.

b

 
At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bush and the Republicans were not protecting us on 9-11, and we aren't a lot safer now. We may be more afraid due to george bush, but are we safer? Being fearful does not necessarily make one safer. Fear can cause people to hide and cower. What do you think? What is he doing to us, and what is he doing to the world?
If ever there was ever a time in our nation's history that called for a change, this is it!
We have lost friends and influenced no one. No wonder most of the world thinks we suck. Thanks to what george bush has done to our country during the past three years, we do!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home