Sunday, May 21, 2006

Home Sweet

Yes, I am home. It feels great, although I fear the roofing crew is going to be here at an ungodly hour tomorrow. I contracted with Home Depot to do my roof and the guy who sold me said it would happen next month. Well, imagine my surprise when I called my voice mail from my hotel in FLorida and the woman's voice told me they were there THAT VERY DAY. I drove up a while ago with some trepidation, but I guess the roof looks okay, although I have no taste and I can't tell. It sort of looks like some of the shingles are one color and some are another color. Is this right?

I love hotel life. I could walk around with my plastic room key forever.

That doesn't mean I loved the conference. It's all very high school, who is in and who is not in and who would be caught dead eating lunch with whom. I am pretty much in the don't-get-caught-dead-with group but I like being on the lower tier. It's fun observing the higher-ups.

Romance writers are nice. They are good writers too. I am just not into it. At the book signing I sat between a vampire writer and a shape shifter writer (shape shifters are creatures like werewolves that change shapes--see? you thought I didn't know). I was very humbled to see people walk past my book and light up when they saw the shape shifter cover. Also, I just saw that book on the Top Ten sellers at Barnes and Noble, so folks, stuff is going on in the reading public that we never guessed.

I had a lovely dinner with my agent and her sister. They had been to a panel discussion of paranormal romance where creatures with two penises, one on each hip, were under review. I missed that one, though I have heard of two-fisted drinking.

As I said, I love hotel life. Quite expensive, though. I paid eight bucks plus tip one night for a glass of wine in the bar. Yeesh. I could almost buy a bottle of Sutter Home chardonnay for that. My agent knows her wine. I do not. But that's what I'm paying her for. In case someone tries to pull a fast one on us--hey ladies, try this cabernet, haha. [it's really goat piss and Kristin decks the guy because she KNOWS]

No papers to read, that's one blessing.

A bientot
becky

3 Comments:

At 2:14 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ah yes we never leave that high school class do we? I'd be in your group though so that makes me feel better - tho' I hope it makes you feel better too.
What a hoot - two penises one on each hip - I just can't believe that!! Are they serious?!
Maybe some of your roof shingles have been put the wrong way - like the nap in a piece of fabric? I guess you could see it as an interesting feature?

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Chief, I knew you would sit with me for lunch. That makes me feel great. I guess the roof is okay, I'm still getting used to it.

b

 
At 4:50 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Candy,

Yes, June Mitchell. Good memory on you, girl.

And hey, I'm on the plump and pompous side. Thanks for the kind words.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home