Sunday, May 21, 2006

Home Sweet

Yes, I am home. It feels great, although I fear the roofing crew is going to be here at an ungodly hour tomorrow. I contracted with Home Depot to do my roof and the guy who sold me said it would happen next month. Well, imagine my surprise when I called my voice mail from my hotel in FLorida and the woman's voice told me they were there THAT VERY DAY. I drove up a while ago with some trepidation, but I guess the roof looks okay, although I have no taste and I can't tell. It sort of looks like some of the shingles are one color and some are another color. Is this right?

I love hotel life. I could walk around with my plastic room key forever.

That doesn't mean I loved the conference. It's all very high school, who is in and who is not in and who would be caught dead eating lunch with whom. I am pretty much in the don't-get-caught-dead-with group but I like being on the lower tier. It's fun observing the higher-ups.

Romance writers are nice. They are good writers too. I am just not into it. At the book signing I sat between a vampire writer and a shape shifter writer (shape shifters are creatures like werewolves that change shapes--see? you thought I didn't know). I was very humbled to see people walk past my book and light up when they saw the shape shifter cover. Also, I just saw that book on the Top Ten sellers at Barnes and Noble, so folks, stuff is going on in the reading public that we never guessed.

I had a lovely dinner with my agent and her sister. They had been to a panel discussion of paranormal romance where creatures with two penises, one on each hip, were under review. I missed that one, though I have heard of two-fisted drinking.

As I said, I love hotel life. Quite expensive, though. I paid eight bucks plus tip one night for a glass of wine in the bar. Yeesh. I could almost buy a bottle of Sutter Home chardonnay for that. My agent knows her wine. I do not. But that's what I'm paying her for. In case someone tries to pull a fast one on us--hey ladies, try this cabernet, haha. [it's really goat piss and Kristin decks the guy because she KNOWS]

No papers to read, that's one blessing.

A bientot
becky

8 Comments:

At 2:14 AM , Blogger chiefbiscuit said...

Ah yes we never leave that high school class do we? I'd be in your group though so that makes me feel better - tho' I hope it makes you feel better too.
What a hoot - two penises one on each hip - I just can't believe that!! Are they serious?!
Maybe some of your roof shingles have been put the wrong way - like the nap in a piece of fabric? I guess you could see it as an interesting feature?

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Chief, I knew you would sit with me for lunch. That makes me feel great. I guess the roof is okay, I'm still getting used to it.

b

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger BeenThereDoneThat said...

Hey, Willis, read the book, loved it, just know that the curling picture is us dressed up as nuns. And wasn't the housemother named Mitchell? Love, Candy

 
At 11:07 AM , Blogger BeenThereDoneThat said...

One other thing - there is a series by Lillian Jackson Brawn that has a character who always ends phone conversations with a bientot. So everytime I read that on your blog I think of a plump, rather pompous librarian - even though I know different!

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger BeenThereDoneThat said...

Hey, Willis, read the book, loved it, just know that the curling picture is us dressed up as nuns. And wasn't the housemother named Mitchell? Love, Candy

 
At 4:50 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Candy,

Yes, June Mitchell. Good memory on you, girl.

And hey, I'm on the plump and pompous side. Thanks for the kind words.

 
At 5:58 AM , Blogger Weight Watcher said...

A typical dictionary definition of hypnosis states that it is: a state that resembles sleep but that is induced by suggestion. However, anyone who has tried hypnosis (and any self respecting hypnotist) will tell you that this is a very simplistic view of the subject!
A much better description comes from the Free Online Dictionary which states that hypnosis is: an artificially induced state of consciousness, characterised by heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction. So what does this mean and how can it be used to your advantage?

Well, the subject of hypnosis has been discussed and pondered since the late 1700s. Many explanations and theories have come and gone though science, however, has yet to supply a valid and well-established definition of how it actually happens. It's fairly unlikely that the scientific community will arrive at a definitive explanation for hypnosis in the near future either, as the untapped resources of our 'mostly' uncharted mind still remain something of a mystery.
However, the general characteristics of hypnosis are well documented. It is a trance state characterized by extreme suggestibility, deep relaxation and heightened imaginative functioning. It's not really like sleep at all, because the subject is alert the whole time. It is most often compared to daydreaming, or the feeling you get when you watch a movie or read a captivating book. You are fully conscious, but you tune out most of the outside world. Your focus is concentrated intensely on the mental processes you are experiencing - if movies didn't provide such disassociation with everyday life and put a person in a very receptive state then they would not be as popular (nor would TV advertising be as effective!). Have you ever stated that a film wasn't great because you just couldn't 'get into it'???
This works very simply; while daydream or watching a movie, an imaginary world becomes almost real to you because it fully engages your emotional responses. Such mental pursuits will on most occasions cause real emotional responses such as fear, sadness or happiness (have you ever cried at a sad movie, felt excited by a future event not yet taken place or shivered at the thought of your worst fear?).
It is widely accepted that these states are all forms of self-hypnosis. If you take this view you can easily see that you go into and out of mild hypnotic states on a daily basis - when driving home from work, washing the dishes, or even listening to a boring conversation. Although these situations produce a mental state that is very receptive to suggestion the most powerful time for self-change occurs in the trance state brought on by intentional relaxation and focusing exercises. This deep hypnosis is often compared to the relaxed mental state between wakefulness and sleep.
In this mental state, people feel uninhibited and relaxed and they release all worries and doubts that normally occupy their mind. A similar experience occurs while you are daydreaming or watching the TV. You become so involved in the onscreen antics

 
At 11:07 PM , Blogger blogme said...

What are you looking for today?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home