Sunday, April 23, 2006

getting there

I hit 60,000 words today on Victory. It was a good feeling, though I still have some heavy thinking to do about where one of the plots is going. I know the very end, I think, which is always helpful. I was talking to another writer at the conference a couple of weeks ago and we were laughing about being at 50,000 words. Okay, so I have these people here. What are they going to do now?

In community theatre I always thought of it as self-hypnosis. You start thinking the show is good even if it isn't, probably because it's so much better than it was at the beginning. There's undoubtedly some self-hypnosis involved in fiction writing too. Whenever a writer says he cut a section or added a section or revised a section, he/she will always say IT'S SO MUCH STRONGER NOW. I mean really, who's going to say THE WORK IS TERRIBLE NOW. IT WAS GOOD BEFORE AND NOW IT SUCKS.

I noticed today that a piece of my roof looks bad. I have already sent an email to the guy who is supposed to give me an estimate. I live in fear that varmints and critters will be in here with me before long. I hate homeowning. I want to have someone take care of all that AND buy my shoes and handbags.

I'm going to stop at a Barnes and Noble tomorrow on my way home from work and see if my book is in there. It will be a thrilling moment if it happens.

Stay tuned.

Weigh-in tomorrow too.

A bientot

3 Comments:

At 12:38 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hi Becky - I have been away for three days or so and am just catching up on your blog. So it's getting close then? Are you publishing a book and finishing another? That is so productive! I am about to send off my second poetry ms to the publishers ... I am quite excited now, up until now tho' it just seemed like hard work without much gain.
My diet went to crap when I was away ... I have to claw back now - ignore the cravings to eat toast.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

My two WIPs are in limbo for the moment. I'm waiting on news from three requested partials and a request for the full ms.

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Keep the faith, Chief! Where is your poetry posted?

And Faith, same for you. What do you write?

becky

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home