Friday, March 24, 2006

NCAA

I so love the NCAA tournament. I so love how every game is IMPORTANT. Switch from a college game to a pro game and in the first minute that you switch, listen how the whole tempo slows down. The sneakers barely make a noise in the pro game. The crowd is quieter. Yikes. You would think the young kids are better, but of course they're not.

I read I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS and it is a terrific book. Dickensian you might say in that Dickens told his story across a wave, a rainbow, of different characters of different social classes. So does Wolfe. But it probably ruined me where Duke is concerned. I don't see how you can read that book and not think of Duke. So they're out. Gone. Too bad. Snobs. Fanatics.

Here's how my rooting goes. UMass, not BC (you have to live here to know). Illinois, maybe Villanova, A-10 teams, underdog teams, Midwest teams, never West Coast teams. Big Ten teams are good, ACC no. Arkansas always. Has Bradley lost yet? I was a little kid in Peoria, Ill., and my parents used to take me to the Bradley homecoming parade and it was fabulous. Floats and beautiful girls, cheerleaders and sororities, fascinating to me.

Rather a deflating kind of Friday in that I found out I'm not going to several meetings/conventions I had wanted to attend. Some of them are my fault. For all my good planning, I didn't plan well for some of this. No writing on Victory today and there won't be any tomorrow because, yes boys and girls, I am having breakfast, lunch, and dinner out! Ouch! Weight loss hanging steady at 10.5. I EXPECT MORE!!!

Weather cold. When I moved here almost 30 years ago, this was the time of year that was most depressing. It still is.

Root for Bradley.

A bientot,
becky

1 Comments:

At 7:07 PM , Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Bradley's gone. I had a crushed fan comment on my blog yesterday morning. I dunno, never said I hated Bradley. But basketball done strange things to people...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home