Thursday, January 19, 2006

Progress

Progress on the Diet:
Today is the first day. Or it might have been yesterday, but I really think it was today. I haven't blown it yet.

Progress on the Semester:
Since adjunct faculty aren't allowed to park in the faculty lot, I had to park in the next universe today and then walk back to campus. Good thing it wasn't 30 below. I left my car in front of somebody's house and hoped for the best. Plus I wore my black boots and my feet were "keeling" me by the time I returned three hours later.

The young man who'd had me before for English 101 didn't show up today. Maybe he thought better of it. "I'm outta here, man. She's a cast-iron bitch," is what he could have thought. Or who knows. I was friendly to him, too. The classes are huge right now and I hope other people start dropping out soon. No chit-chatters yet, but I suppose it's only a matter of time. My personal theory is that I get more slackers in the springtime than in the fall. STudents who take 102 in the fall are usually older, transfers, or they've placed out of 101. The group I have now more or less all came from 101 last semester. I don't have a good sense of what they are like yet, but I'm learning the names. A few made good comments. I asked them to come in with a research question in mind and several of them didn't bother to do it. Everyone seemed to have the homework essay. I wish it could stay being the first week all the time. All that hope is so enjoyable.

I have A Thiing that I'm practicing and I'm going to record The Thing on Saturday. I have a lot of work to do first. I hope I don't get stage fright.

La plume de ma tante

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home